Switching to Neurology from Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy new year everyone
I am a Psych Intern
Mid way through Residency
I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 months of Neurology
And have thought long and hard and this in the last few months
I think doing Neurology is what I really want
I talked to a few Neurology attendings and senior residents and they all encouraged me
I even emailed the Neurology Program Director who was one of my attendings and mentioned my intentions
He initial reply was encouraging and he said I performed very well on my rotation
But I still have not been able to meet with him as he promised
So I really want advice from you guys
I know our intern year doesn't count
A medicine one is what is required?
So what's the best way to go about this?
I know a psych intern who switched at my program 4-5 years ago but there was an opening and she switched to Neurology PGY 2 but had to do 4 more months of medicine - so she started as a G2 4 months behind
So for the long post!
Appreciate any replies

Members don't see this ad.

I am only an applicant so I don't have any advice but welcome to neurology! Your psych experience should be quite helpful.

You'll have to fulfill your preliminary medicine requirements prior to starting neurology residency, as you noted above. There are multiple prior threads regarding the number of months of medicine that are required to satisfy those requirements. You could either do another intern year in preliminary or transitional form, or you could try to find a neurology program with the flexibility to allow you to catch up on your requirements after signing on. The former will be significantly easier than the latter.

Also, what is with the formatting of your post? I thought I was reading a poem at first.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll have to fulfill your preliminary medicine requirements prior to starting neurology residency, as you noted above. There are multiple prior threads regarding the number of months of medicine that are required to satisfy those requirements. You could either do another intern year in preliminary or transitional form, or you could try to find a neurology program with the flexibility to allow you to catch up on your requirements after signing on. The former will be significantly easier than the latter.

Also, what is with the formatting of your post? I thought I was reading a poem at first.

Haiku...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user