Switching to Podiatry from Dentistry becuase of GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Augsburg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have found it very hard to get in to dentistry schools with my grade point. I have an over all GPA of 3.29 and science of 3.28. What I am asking here is there anyone that has been accepted in to a Podiatry school this year with a grade point in this range. If so what was your MCAT score? Last question, when should I take my MCAT if I am applying for 2009 ( I have been thinking late summer right before I fill out my application.)?

Members don't see this ad.

I have found it very hard to get in to dentistry schools with my grade point. I have an over all GPA of 3.29 and science of 3.28. What I am asking here is there anyone that has been accepted in to a Podiatry school this year with a grade point in this range. If so what was your MCAT score? Last question, when should I take my MCAT if I am applying for 2009 ( I have been thinking late summer right before I fill out my application.)?

Why do you want to do podiatry?

Better question, why did you want to do dentistry? What drew you to the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
What I have seen from Podiatry shadowing is it has a great variety from day to day activities, interaction with staff and patients, the independence that you receive from the profession and the satisfaction you receive. If you where to over look all the professions such as Dentistry, Podiatry, Optometry they all share similar aspects that I am looking for in a career. This is why I am considering this profession, back to the real question.

The point of asking you whether it's really what you want to do is simple...it's your life...it's not JUST admission into graduate school because no matter your GPA, you can work hard, take master's level courses and pretty much get into any graduate program you REALLY aspire to get into (relatively speaking - I don't mean having a 2.0 and getting into Hopkins)

....with your GPA you can gain admission into most any podiatry school....For the top tier schools you will need an MCAT of 23+ to ensure admission....for the lower tier schools...whatever your DAT score is (if you took one, I assume you have since you said you found it difficult to gain acceptance into Dental school..) will suffice I'm sure unless its lower than 16....even then some schools will let you in....Podiatry isnt quite as competitive as some of us on this forum make it out to be...granted we want it to be as competitive as possible....it's just not there yet....(that is my opinion)

Feli, Dr. Feelgood, Krabmas etc can all give you sound advice furthermore I'm sure but I would say just take the MCAT as it will maximize your options in terms of matriculation...If you are applying for the fall of 2009...the summer before that should be fine and make sure you apply early...

...This is, of course, assuming that Podiatry is something you are sincerely passionate about....because there are certain hurdles you will have to overcome that maybe some dentists, optometrists etc won't have to deal with....it's not the same as those professions....

Lastly, you are not alone, many people cross over from many other professions and "discover" podiatry as a potential career choice -- there is nothing wrong with how you get to a certain juncture in your life....but it should make you all the more aware and conscious of your decision thereafter....don't waste your time and your energy...know what you are doing now and do what you feel right doing...:thumbup:

you can definately get into podiatry school with your gpa. you dont need to take mcat if you took the dat. most podiatry schools still accept dat scores. how was your dat?

you can definately get into podiatry school with your gpa. you dont need to take mcat if you took the dat. most podiatry schools still accept dat scores. how was your dat?

Do School and DMU take the DAT?

That GPA is very competitive and you should probably get into any podiatry school with an MCAT of 23ish.

Your post reads "Switching to Podiatry from Dentistry because of GPA". Before worrying about MCAT and GPA make sure that Podiatry is what you want to do. It is a 6-7 year commitment including residency, as well something that you will have to do for the rest of your life. If you really want to be a dentist, then be a dentist. Podiatry is a great and rewarding field jut make sure you're getting into it for the right reasons. Good Luck ;)

WannaBeDPM: What do you mean by "because there are certain hurdles you will have to overcome that maybe some dentists, optometrists etc won't have to deal with"???????

Do School and DMU take the DAT?

I know for sure that DMU no longer takes DAT scores. I don't think that Scholl will take the DAT either, but I could be wrong on that one.

I know for sure that DMU no longer takes DAT scores. I don't think that Scholl will take the DAT either, but I could be wrong on that one.

Taking the MCAT may seem like a daunting task. The preparation takes a great deal of discipline. However, if you want to be successful in Pod school (and in the career that follows), you will need that same discipline each day with regard to your study habits. Preparing for and taking the MCAT helped me develop the discipline and study skills I now use in school.

I can't stand threads like these. I'm sorry, but what if we say that all you need is a 23? Is that really going to affect how you study? Are you going to break your MCAT book down into sections and only read 51% of it? Or are you going to only really focus on 51% of the MCAT questions then blow off the rest? Or wait until your practice MCATs hit 23 and then stop studying? (By the way I got 51% from 23/45)

There is no magic number to get on any of these tests that will guarantee an admissions offer, and your performance on practice tests may be way different from your real test, for better or worse. I think the best thing to do is to study as hard as you can, and do the very best you can with the time/resources available. At least then you won't bomb the MCAT and say, 'shoot, I guess I shouldn't have gone for only a 23'. Instead you'll know that you did your best, and that's all anyone can ask of you.

I can't stand threads like these. I'm sorry, but what if we say that all you need is a 23? Is that really going to affect how you study? Are you going to break your MCAT book down into sections and only read 51% of it? Or are you going to only really focus on 51% of the MCAT questions then blow off the rest? Or wait until your practice MCATs hit 23 and then stop studying? (By the way I got 51% from 23/45)

There is no magic number to get on any of these tests that will guarantee an admissions offer, and your performance on practice tests may be way different from your real test, for better or worse. I think the best thing to do is to study as hard as you can, and do the very best you can with the time/resources available. At least then you won't bomb the MCAT and say, 'shoot, I guess I shouldn't have gone for only a 23'. Instead you'll know that you did your best, and that's all anyone can ask of you.

I agree to this mentality, I only have roughly 2 months left for my MCAT...and even though I have a goal score in my head...it's better not to think about it and maximize my time and resources....but I think the OP asked for a number...there IS a number that will nearly ensure admission....maybe not as much for allopathic medical school...but for Podiatry school, in my opinion, the MCAT carries greater weight because a score like 25 for Pod school is outstanding, a 25 for allopathic med school is a joke.......I can only say this out of experience, my undergrad GPA is unreasonably low...yet I was given a chance to gain admission by getting a certain MCAT score....if you saw my transcript you would think NO mcat score would suffice especially not one under a 25....BUT...
....numbers matter....try your hardest...but numbers matter...especially for "the great equalizer" => MCAT :thumbup:

That GPA is very competitive and you should probably get into any podiatry school with an MCAT of 23ish.

Your post reads "Switching to Podiatry from Dentistry because of GPA". Before worrying about MCAT and GPA make sure that Podiatry is what you want to do. It is a 6-7 year commitment including residency, as well something that you will have to do for the rest of your life. If you really want to be a dentist, then be a dentist. Podiatry is a great and rewarding field jut make sure you're getting into it for the right reasons. Good Luck ;)

WannaBeDPM: What do you mean by "because there are certain hurdles you will have to overcome that maybe some dentists, optometrists etc won't have to deal with"???????

Heres a few: 3 yr surgical residency requirement, different scope of practice depending on state, 3 part boards, having to explain to naive pre meds that we don't do foot massages

I was actually asked that recently

Naive premed: So what are you doing?
Cheetos: I'm in podiatry school
Naive premed: Oooohh so you must give wicked foot massages
Cheetos: Uhhhhh let me see your foot, I'm good with the scalpel