Switching to pre-med, want to attend medical school but worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arx0s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore computer science/applied mathematics major at a college near Boston. I recently came to the realization that I hate programming, and I needed to get out of it. I've always had a huge interest in the sciences and medicine, and I am greatly interesting in the thought of one day being a surgeon (hopefully orthopedic).

I'm worried about my chances of getting into a decent medical school when the time comes.
My GPA is roughly 3.2 right now, but it should be around a 3.6-3.8 by the time I apply. I'm hoping to volunteer/shadow at some hospital this summer, to get a feel for what it would be like to be a physician. I haven't many pre-med required courses yet, but I'm switching to biotech/applied math next semester and will be caught up by the Spring semester.

Honestly, I'm worried about failing, and not getting into medical school. I'm uncertain about the MCATs, although I plan to start immersing myself in it soon. Is getting into medical school as hard as people say? What can I do to increase my chances? I feel that if I don't get in, I'll think of myself as a failure.

Sorry for the pseudo-rambling/life story. I've just never felt so nervous/ so excited about something before! The thought of perhaps one day being a surgeon makes me incredibly motivated/exhilarated.

Members don't see this ad.

you can definitely do it. you have plenty of time. don't feel pressured to apply during junior or even senior year. the avg age of med students entering their 1st yr is 25... most people take at least one gap year.

I'm worried about my chances of getting into a decent medical school when the time comes.
My GPA is roughly 3.2 right now, but it should be around a 3.6-3.8 by the time I apply. I'm hoping to volunteer/shadow at some hospital this summer, to get a feel for what it would be like to be a physician. I haven't many pre-med required courses yet, but I'm switching to biotech/applied math next semester and will be caught up by the Spring semester.

Honestly, I'm worried about failing, and not getting into medical school. I'm uncertain about the MCATs, although I plan to start immersing myself in it soon. Is getting into medical school as hard as people say? What can I do to increase my chances? I feel that if I don't get in, I'll think of myself as a failure.
Welcome to the pre-med world of stress and uncertainty, where 54.6% of those applying to MD schools do not get an acceptance. Read these forums widely to get a good idea of what others have done to ensure their success, including earning near-straight As after a few school terms of mediocre grades and the development of comprehensive ECs. Since success is not guaranteed, it's a good idea to have a backup plan, perhaps entering another healthcare field or by adding DO med schools to your application list.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, evaluate your interests and make sure you have solid backing for your change of heart. I'm not questioning it, but you shouldn't switch to something as a means of running away from something else.

If you truly hate programming, switch majors to something that you like more. Most people don't declare majors until they're sophomores anyways. Even if you need to take an extra semester to finish your new major, it'll be worth avoiding two or more years of suffering.

Yes, getting into medical school is hard, but it is not impossible. What you need to remember is that when you are ready to apply, you should present yourself in the strongest way you can, even if that means taking one or two gap years, re-taking classes where your performance was subpar, and allotting enough time to study for the MCAT. You only want to take the MCAT once, and put your all into it. Retakes don't look too great.

In addition, if you are constantly motivated by fear, your results will reflect that, and your results won't be very promising. If you are motivated by success and confidence, your results will also reflect that, and an image of success and confidence is what you want to reflect to adcoms when you are ready to apply.

In addition, if you are constantly motivated by fear, your results will reflect that, and your results won't be very promising. If you are motivated by success and confidence, your results will also reflect that, and an image of success and confidence is what you want to reflect to adcoms when you are ready to apply.
/\ This.