switching to psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krishnm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted on this thread several months ago and got some pretty thoughtful feedback, so I thought I'd try my luck again. This time, my question is less practical, rather a query as to whether my head's in the right place.

I'm in my mid twenties and for the past few years have been working in the human rights arena. I'm a field investigator in an active war zone, documenting atrocities against civilians. It is meaningful work to say the least (and one not many people my age get to do), but is crushingly frustrating not being able to make a real difference beyond writing reports, and, furthermore, I find the most fulfilling parts of my job interacting with the victims. I'd love a job where I could help people longer term, rather than saying "thanks, see ya" after someone has shared such detail with me. I'd always bounced around the idea of a mental health career, but the feeling is stronger now. The logical path in my current field is law school, which deep down I don't think fits me. Am I fantasizing, or are these valid reasons for choosing a mental health career?

On the practical side - I'm 26 and I have almost no background in psychology, save for a freshman year course. I don't think I've seen another field where the educational and career paths are so convoluted and contradictory (and which are subject to such debate. from an outsider's standpoint it's amusing). The question: where do I start? What kind of programs does someone like me have a realistic shot of acceptance to?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the reason is valid. But exactly what type of career in MH would be tougher. It would be somthing you want to look into, MSW, PhD, PsyD, etc. Depending on what it was you thought you were interested in pursuing (degree type I mean) that would dictate the next steps you took.

I think a good place to start would be to look at the different occupations out there in the clinical realm (if that's what you see yourself doing): i.e. Social Worker, School Counsellor, Marriage or Grief Counsellor, Psychologist..., and figure out what role you'd like to see yourself play and the degree you need to get to it. Pay close attention to your state/province requirements if you need to be registered. Since you are already in your mid-20's you don't want to be screwing around, applying to a program, and finding out later what you want to do with your degree. Do your research and ask lots of questions (as you are doing), and you'll be ahead in the end.

P.S.

It's never too late for a career change

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
We welcome you to our world. It is alot of work. We "speak your name"......when will someone get this reference?????? :oops:

Nobody here listens to Stern but you, psisci. I think that makes you the deviant....

Your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine -- I have taken several undergrad courses in psychology but don't have an "official" background in it.

I'm currently looking to do an MSW program (quickest route to a job at this point and I'm in my mid-20s as well and have to support myself) and then pursue a Ph.D. in psychology. I have thought about applying directly to Ph.D. but by all accounts, it "ain't gonna happen" -- I don't have research experience, publications, etc. The only way I could afford a doctorate program is if someone else paid for it, and I just don't see that happening considering my current background. (Psy.D. is OUT for that reason; also many require a "related" masters' degree -- and many Ph.D. in Counseling Psych do as well)

I have read/heard that getting into an APA accredited clinical psychology doctoral program is harder than getting into medical school.

As for my "digits," I have a 3.38 GPA for overall undergrad (so far I have a 4.0 in undergraduate psychology courses, including those I took post-bacc -- don't know if that makes a difference) and a 3.95 in a graduate-level certificate program (unrelated to social sciences). GRE: 570V, 580Q, 5.0 Analytical Writing. No GRE Psych.

Any advice....??

I also am about to start a job as a residential counselor. ^^

PS. I'm going the MSW route instead of MA in Psych because it will allow me to do more at the master's level in my state (and the MSW transfers well to other states as well).