Switching universities to raise GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aurora_star

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm from Canada and I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. My cGPA for the past three years has been significantly low due to my negligence when it came to my studies. It is around a 2.4 and I don't think there is an chance I could fix it even if I get a 4.0 in 4th and 5th year. I was talking to an academic advisor on advice on what I should do and she said if I were to transfer universities, dental schools would not look at my 1st degree transcript but the courses would still be able to transfer over. I'm in life sciences right now and thinking of doing a biology degree at another university. I would be able to graduate with the courses I have this fall and begin school at another university in winter.

I was wondering if you think this would be a good option instead of continuing with my degree. I think some dental schools in Canada only look at your last few years in your most recent degree. I would probably end up doing another 2 years depending on whether the courses transfer over. I think this could also work with Australian dental schools as well but I would have to make sure and email them again. So what do you guys think about this plan? If anything I stated it the wrong info please let me know! I would love to know what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

They will look at all your transcripts.

Reactions: 2 users
I've emailed a few Canadian schools and some of then will only look at your last few years of the most recent degree (ex. Mcgill)

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the transfer stuff goes, I have no idea so I won't comment. However, McGill average out of province gpa is like a 3.9 so you'd have to get almost straight A's for a few years. Not saying it's impossible, but you'd have to really reevaluate your study habits. For the schools in the states, maybe consider a course based masters program after you finish your undergrad. Good luck!

What is the average acceptance GPA of a course based masters? Would I, as a Canadian applicant, even be able to get chance with my GPA at an American school?

If you can get it up to a 3 you have a pretty good chance for course based masters. Of course that's dependant on the program you choose. An informal post bach is another option.

If you can get it up to a 3 you have a pretty good chance for course based masters. Of course that's dependant on the program you choose. An informal post bach is another option.

So its not true that Canadian applicants need a significantly higher GPA to get into a SMP? I've heard Canadians need to get around ~3.5

For master's in Canada you can find some with a GPA around 3. Not sure if you're looking in the states though. I don't know what an SMP is =(