Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Swollen Mac Batteries

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by DoctaJay, May 2, 2007.

1. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    Four reported cases? Seems pretty unlikely it would happen to you. Manym many more are happy with theirs. If you are interested in video editing, get the MacBook pro and get FCE with a stud discount.

4. 16846

16846 Guest

Actually, it says four valid cases, not reported, meaning they confirmed these four cases to be true. If you read down further you will see many more comments by mac users that said it also happened to them. If this is just a sample of the population that has had this happen, it would seem to be something that would classify as at least an uncommon, if not a less-common, problem.

It would certainly make me think twice.

5. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Keep in mind that this is a problem with laptop batteries in general and is NOT specific to Apple.

The same problems have affected other computer manufacturers, including explosion and fire risks.

6. 16846

16846 Guest

True, but all the other manufacturers that are involved have recalled those units.

7. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    So has Apple. Apple recalled all of its affected batteries. Like other companies (Dell, HP, etc.), Apple hasn't received enough complaints or evidence to recall current batteries.

I'm quite sure the people who had affected batteries had them replaced free of charge. MacBooks haven't been out long enough for warranties to be invalid yet. (I think MacBooks come with a 1-year limited warranty, but if memory serves me correctly, the battery is under warranty for 3 years.)

8. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    It seems like the complaints were specific to the 17" MBPs and not the 15" ones, so maybe that is a way around it. Although they probably use the same battery. Anyway, I won't by a MBP until the new Santa Rosa chips come out. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to the Leopard OS when it comes out in Oct.

9. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    If you buy in June, and if Leopard is released in October, you won't get a free upgrade. Just wait until Leopard is released if you can. It will save you from installing another OS.

10. 16846

16846 Guest

Wow, that's total crap. Even Microsoft isn't that stingy.

11. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Not necessarily true. In the past, they have given free upgrades to people that purchased a computer after the new OS was announced to be released.

By the way, doctajay I saw you on macrumors. ;)

12. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    Or maybe Microsoft recognizes their releases are so widely available, either bootlegged or purchased, that it would be silly to charge.

13. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    lol, stalker :D

14. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    Usually it's limited to those who buy a computer during a 14- to 30-day period prior to the new OS release. So when I said if you buy in June, and Leopard is released in October, then it is highly unlikely that you will get a free upgrade 4 months after you buy the computer.

15. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    how much does it really cost to upgrade an OS on a Mac?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    stud discount is like $49. Like it or not, you'll be doing it a few times during the life of your system. I say get the computer now, upgrade once the kinks are worked out. Wait until the first revision of the new system to upgrade.

18. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    I've had my Mac for almost three years and have only upgraded one time. Unless you're an AppleSeed tester, you won't be installing OS X multiple times.

19. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    If you want it for med school I would go ahead and buy in June when Santa Rosa comes out. Waiting til' October isn't really worth it and Leopard will inevitably have some kinks that will take a few months to work out anyway. Tiger is an awesome system and then you can pay the $50 to upgrade later.

20. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    In regards to the battery, Mac addressed this last week:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/27/battery-update-1-2/

I'd say replacing an out of warranty battery is pretty generous.

21. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've been a computer geek for awhile so I don't want to get a Mac to avoid viruses or the other gimicks that people use to sell em. I just think that they look cool, and with already owning 2 windows machines (desktop and laptop), I think its times to branch out a litle. I'm just worried about the tons of money I'll spend buy needed softare like Office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS 2, Final Cut Pro, etc.

Also would I be an idiot not to get one of Apple's Laptop Care services? Would I really need it within 4 years since Macs are so "reliable"?

22. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!

I have Apple Care on both my Mac Book and iMac. It has been invaluable for phone tech support....and peace of mind.:thumbup:

23. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    There are a couple reasons to wait until fall to buy a MacBook:

1. As already mentioned, Leopard;
    2. Apple usually offers back-to-school specials in late August/September;
    3. You won't be a student in June, but when you become one in August, you will qualify for educational pricing.

You can purchase MS Office for about $150 on an academic discount. I think the Photoshop suite (Phoshop CS3 and a couple other programs) is around $300 with an academic discount. I bought mine from Journey Ed.

24. alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    You're right for the most part but for 3 - if you show up at an Apple store with an acceptance letter they'll give you the discount, so for people like me who just can't wait - there are options.

Also, if you wait and buy from the computer store at whatever university you go to - they will typically have a student/teacher edition of Office that runs $75 or so.

25. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure how this works these days, but several years ago I squeezed a Microsoft Office mac version out of Microsoft since I already had a license for the Windows version. You might try this.

26. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    I bought my laptop in '03. Within the year I upgraded to Panther. Next came Tiger. Leopard will be out later this year, and I'm sure I'll do that, too.