Symmetry in Holepunching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jo07

Dingo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you always eliminate wrong choices based on the symmetry of the first fold?

In Kaplan every question does this, but I don't know if these are just easy or what.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No. There are certain ways to fold it so that the first-fold symmetry can be misleading. I got burned a few times before realizing that. I believe barron's has some problems that demonstrate that idea. Also, up until test day I had really had no trouble with the folding, but the problems on the actual test were significantly harder than Kaplan's for that particular section of the PAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it more similar to Topscore/CrackPat/Achiever?

i believe it was similar to crackpat except no half holes on my exam luckily!
there were some simple ones similar to kaplan but the really easy nonsense simple ones like "fold in half..then again...and again into a square" wasn't. if they do..they will punch it twice but that's easy too =)

i got a 21. u should be fine. get crackpat.great practice!

Can you always eliminate wrong choices based on the symmetry of the first fold?

In Kaplan every question does this, but I don't know if these are just easy or what.

thanks

that's a whole bunch of croc

u CAN do it but that will usually eliminate like 1 out of the 4 so that's a waste of time. it's hard to do the symmetry thing when it's symmetry over a corner piece..get my drift. practice is key! good luck.

i agree with "jo" that you don't want to do it if it takes too much time, so find out works best. I did it for every hole punch and quickly wrote down the options that could work considering symmetry, then I would try to unfold the object in my head pick the correct choice, and then use the letters I had written down just to double check. On the practices I could do that method and still be done with section within 7 or 8 minutes. Find what works for you.

i believe it was similar to crackpat except no half holes on my exam luckily!
there were some simple ones similar to kaplan but the really easy nonsense simple ones like "fold in half..then again...and again into a square" wasn't. if they do..they will punch it twice but that's easy too =)

i got a 21. u should be fine. get crackpat.great practice!

I was looking around for "crackpat" and can't seem to find it... any good sources for this?