Synonyms for "waitlist"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaboy

Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would see how schools are expressing the idea of "waitlist" with other words/phrases. I think it's great that they give us a false sense of security by calling it something else that lures the anal premed into thinking it's something more than the average old waitlist. One example is Tulane with their "acceptable range". Let's hear what schools are saying this year and what the synonyms are for the good old "waitlist".:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Case puts you in a "hold category" for review "later."

I still haven't figured out if that's the wait list or not. (Perhaps I'm one of those anal premeds :( )

"intermediate pool" for SUNY Buffalo

Members don't see this ad :)
wfu does this hold for interview thing too... i dunno if that's waitlist or a simple way of saying "sorry, but..."

I'd like to think it's kinda like a waitlist!

"You've been selected as an alternate for the class of 2003!"--GW

+pissed+

I don't know, but this email from Mayo sounds like a waitlist to me:

"The Admissions Committee recently reviewed and discussed your application. Your Committee rank has been determined and will be considered when appointments are made to the class entering in 2003. We will continue to update you with any activity taken on your application.

I appreciate your patience during this process, and again thank you for your interest in Mayo Medical School."

I'm actually pretty happy - this was about the best I was hoping for at this point for a school w/ such a small class size. :)

How about this handrwritten note on an index card I got from Harvard:
"You're decent, but not THAT good. Dont call us, we'll call you."

Originally posted by DW

Sucks when you get that note from Harvard, but it's worse when it's from your ex. ;)

Originally posted by heelshmeel
wfu does this hold for interview thing too... i dunno if that's waitlist or a simple way of saying "sorry, but..."

I'd like to think it's kinda like a waitlist!

It's more like they're keeping their options open until they've seen their total applicant pool.

Here's a synonym: purgatory

how bout "accepted when place available"

Thought I would bump this up so we can get an idea of all of the bs synonyms schools are using this year for the "waitlist". Some of them are freak'n hilarious.

Originally posted by DW

:laugh:

U Chicago puts you in the "alternate pool," which isn't even as good as the waitlist. If you're real good, you can get from the alternate pool to the waitlist in May.

Congratulations to me!!

I've been placed on the "Continuing Candidates List" at Temple.

Yay!

WTF

At Loyola they just call it an alternate list. Penn State is hilarious: "Hold List" with the possibility of "Wait List" if I have not heard back otherwise; in other words it's a wait list unless they decide to reject me before May. Yay! :clap: That just cheers me up with false security (i e none whatsoever). +pissed+

Originally posted by DW

Are you serious?! :eek:
This isn't verbatim, is it?

How about: Scientific Application Terms

"we are arresting you in the G0 phase of mitosis, I mean the application cycle and choose to induce apoptosis (cell death), I mean reject you whenever we like." ;)

Can't help the lab stuff, sorry.:D

rwj: high priority alternate list. it's a mouthful.

i like the first part, it makes me feel special.

Originally posted by Woots32
I don't know, but this email from Mayo sounds like a waitlist to me:

"The Admissions Committee recently reviewed and discussed your application. Your Committee rank has been determined and will be considered when appointments are made to the class entering in 2003. We will continue to update you with any activity taken on your application.

I appreciate your patience during this process, and again thank you for your interest in Mayo Medical School."

I'm actually pretty happy - this was about the best I was hoping for at this point for a school w/ such a small class size. :)

Sorry Woots32,

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is NOT a waitlist notification. For more info, go to their website. You are ranked first, then go back to the committee when appointments are made. They will specifically tell you that you are waitlisted, and not make you infer from an email. I am positive of this.

Originally posted by Allygator89
Sorry Woots32,

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is NOT a waitlist notification. For more info, go to their website. You are ranked first, then go back to the committee when appointments are made. They will specifically tell you that you are waitlisted, and not make you infer from an email. I am positive of this.

yeah I was just going to say the same thing... everyone who interviews at Mayo gets that e-mail. good look woots ;)