Syringomyelia - anterior vs lateral spinothamic tract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know syringomyelia affects pain and temperature sensation, so damages the decussating fibers of the lateral spinothalamic tract; however, wouldn't anterior spinothalamic tract crossing fibers also be damaged, causing a reduction of crude touch sensation?

Additionally, are both of these fibers crossing at about the same part of the spinal cord?

Members don't see this ad.

I know syringomyelia affects pain and temperature sensation, so damages the decussating fibers of the lateral spinothalamic tract; however, wouldn't anterior spinothalamic tract crossing fibers also be damaged, causing a reduction of crude touch sensation?

Yes, but it is not THAT relevant, since it only conveys some of the 'touch information' if you will. But if you want to go beyond the classic 'it affects pain and temperature' it might be worth noting that syringomyelia can present in lots of different ways with varying degrees of involvement of modalities other than pain/temperature. ;)

Additionally, are both of these fibers crossing at about the same part of the spinal cord?
As far as I know. :thumbup:

It depends on how large the syrinx becomes. I can take out more than just the CST.