Systematic literature review as a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roinom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some say it's good to write a literature review of something and get it published. Has anyone any experience doing this? At the lab I'm at right now, they are rather recommending orginial article since they should be easier for me, to just "follow the stream" with the other guys in the lab. Reviews, on the other hand, seems to be for people that has extensive knowledge in a specific area.

What kind of subject do medical students choose to write about? I guess it's easier to write about some very specific and small area, rather than something big as fluid therapies or anything like that.

Would be glad if someone with experience would share their story!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Big difference between narrative review and systematic review. The latter is where the money's at in medicine. But it's also more rigorous and time-consuming.
2) You need a mentor with experience in conducting systematic reviews and someone who knows what topics have accumulated a moderate amount of evidence that has yet to be synthesized.

It look like you already know most of the answers, but hopefully I can give you some advice

It's helpful to write a review on a subject you already know because it makes going through the literature less exhausting. Over the past 20-25 years, with the expansion of the internet, review papers aren't nearly as helpful/needed. Consequently, many journals will only publish invited reviews from well known individuals within a field, however, if you look hard enough, you should be able to find a journal.

I published a review article, and it wasn't too difficult. However, my review was novel, it was on a very focused subject, and it was relevant. Basically, you need to find a topic that no one has written a review on--or hasn't written one aimed at a particular group of physicians--and the topic shouldn't be too broad, but it needs to be major enough to merit publishing.

In terms of choosing your topic and writing it, you can either do a search and pitch your idea to an attending (this is the more logical option because it means less work for the attending), or you can ask an attending if they have any ideas.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any books or ressources that may help start a review ?

Thank you

any books or ressources that may help start a review ?