Systems Physiology or cell biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bygrace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'll be a sophomore this coming fall and am trying to figure out which courses would be best to take and when, before the MCAT... and I would greatly appreciate your opinions :)

So, I am a Religion major. I've completed Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Calculus. These are the science courses I will be taking:

Sophomore fall: Genetics, Orgo I
Sophomore spring: Orgo II, Physics I
Junior fall: Physics II and here's my dilemma...

To take the MCAT offered in the spring, I will definitely like to take a science course my junior year fall...

At my school, these courses are offered for juniors and seniors only and only in the Fall:
-Fundamentals of Cell and Developmental Biology
-Systems Physiology
-Molecular Biology and Biochemistry I

Which in your opinion, is the course best to take in preparation for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the June 13th MCAT and there was not much physiology on it at all (8 am). There was a good focus on genetics/molecular bio and there was a bit of biochemistry as well. I was quite ecstatic because I just got finished taking molecular genetics and biochemistry so I would suggest a course along those lines.

You might find a little bit of cell bio would help reaffirm some stuff, just as physiology might do the same. Neither course is going to give you much of an advantage. I would actually suggest that you take the course that you personally are more interested in so that you can enjoy yourself.

Or if you are really gung ho to (over)study, take the course that feels like it will be less work (use Facebook to ask someone who took the course last year....or talk to a friend who did/knows someone who did) and that way you can spend a little time prepping in the fall term instead of leaving it until after your Fall term exams.

Coming out of the June 13th MCAT, I'd say Molecular Biology and/or Biochemistry. No contest.

Learn the Physiology too, but it might be easier to learn that on your own. I think Biochem and Molecular Bio are more difficult to learn on your own.