T minus 11 hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just eleven hours to go before I start internship. Luckily for me a start with one of my three radiology rotations. It'll still be stressful because they will treat me as a radiology resident (instead of preliminary medicine) so I will be reading and dictating studies with people that I will be working with for the next 5 years so I gotta make a good first impression. Unfortunately, I start out with the one imaging modality I know least about: ultrasound!

At least I won't have call until mid-August. Good luck to all of the interns starting their first days tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you WBC. I crank up this madness also but it's just orientation. I don't even know my freakin schedule yet so I'm stressing a bit. Neurosurg or CT to start off with is my luck :confused: but I guess they have to be done. FUN, FUN.

BTW, I've looked at a ton of U/S and it is sometimes VOODOO. You'll get good at it but I likely never will but that's what you're for!

Good luck to ya, WBC. Let's get ready to rumble! :D

Hey at least you start radiology. I start on night float and cross cover all night (medicine). Good luck in Ultrasound WBC. Just remember to think about ultrasound physics when looking at images ( they are different from Xrays passing through the body). There is actually a good book that you should pick up called The Requisites- Ultrasound. It's a fairly quick read (less than 300 pages I believe). It'll get you on the right track, quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I still have a WHOLE WEEK before any clinical duties... :p

But tomorrow I start orientation with a BLS class. I did get my call schedule and rotation schedule - start off on Gyn-Onc, which will be a bee-yich but we're only on call as interns 5-6 times per month! Yeah baby! That's less than I was as a student.

First time on call will be July 7th. Not looking forward to that...
Kristi

Doctora Foxy esta muy bonita...those 6 years of spanish class finally have paid off...lol...did I get it right Doctora Foxy?? lol

Well, today was my first day--sort of. The majority of it was still orientation, but specifically surgery dept., as opposed to ACLS, general GME stuff, etc. At the end of the day, we met up with our teams for afternoon rounds and got started learning the patients on the service and where the hell everything is, along with some of the quirky nuances this particular hospital has. One of the nice things we do here is the old interns stick with us for the first week to help us get into the swing of things (there are definitely some tricks to be learned and my program does things quite differently than the way they were done at my med school)--no *immediate* trial by fire. We also don't have any med students this week (both good and bad--more work for us, but less stress, since we don't have to worry about them). My first call night is tomorrow--we'll see how it goes (I'm in the SICU......)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LaCirujana:
•One of the nice things we do here is the old interns stick with us for the first week to help us get into the swing of things •••••Oh, you're fortunate. We had one day of overlap with the old interns, and despite that, mine didn't show up because he's only a prelim -- and going into ENT! (I'm going to kill him next year!) :)

I had my first call last night. Funny -- I wasn't nervous at all. Maybe because everybody on my service was a rock. Still, the first call from the nurse came at 0114 -- "Doctor, Mr. So-and-so's IV fell out. Does he need a new one?"

Ugh...

Neutropeniaboy:

It's interesting to hear that the nurse would call you regarding an IV line at such an early time in the a.m. -

However, do you think she may be having a bit of fun with the new intern?

I suppose we all have a bit of reckoning (and harassment in jest?) to get through at each stage of our careers...

What do you think?

Airborne

Airborne - Trust me, he/she is not just having fun with the new interns. They just know that they can call you because you're less likely to be upset over the phone call. As an intern, you will get a ton of ridiculously unnecessary middle-of-the-night phone calls -- mainly from the floor nurses who work the late shift. Nurses can and will make an intern's life miserable if they don't like you. The worst type of unnecessary phone calls are the ones that come 30-60 minutes before they know you are going to round!