T or F - The Parasympathetic Division is faster...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
True or False:
The preganglionic & postganglionic fibers of the Parasympathetic Division is faster is overall conduction speed than the Sympathetic Division.

*Note: This isn't an actual question from a review book. I made this one up myself because I'm trying to get better understanding of some topics. Sorry, if it is worded incorrectly.

Members don't see this ad.

True, because the post-ganglionic sympathetics are mostly unmyelinated and will exhibit a slower conduction speed.

Yeah, but the question says, "preganglionic & postganglionic fibers" so something's got to give.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you confused? I agree that a portion is true, but whether or not the preganglionics are slower has yet to be proven. Thus the entirety of the statement cannot be asserted as true.

Why are you confused? I agree that a portion is true, but whether or not the preganglionics are slower has yet to be proven. Thus the entirety of the statement cannot be asserted as true.

im confused by "so something's got to give".

What you're saying technically may be right, but our working assumptions would be that neurons with the same caliber, same lipoprotein composition of myelination, same supply of nutrients, and same expression of voltage-sensitive ion channels will have the same conduction velocity. Everything else is a PhDs job.

Which one would you want to be faster, the one that gets you out of the way of the falling anvil or the one that lets you poop?