T2 low rectal cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grubbe-a-dub-dub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be inclined to treat a low rectal T2 adeno with XRT and a watch-and-wait approach, as opposed to a APR?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done it if patient refuses APR. Otherwise, no.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The patient should be owed a fair, balanced discussion of the pros and cons of both approaches

Definitely have been able to convert a handful to LAR with hand sewn anastomosis or transanal resection. Function is sometimes an issue, but whatever.

Not standard, but better than no treatment.

Definitely have been able to convert a handful to LAR with hand sewn anastomosis or transanal resection. Function is sometimes an issue, but whatever.

Not standard, but better than no treatment.

Ostomies have come a long way even within the past 10-15 years ... I worked with a nurse who had one (not due to cancer) who always joked that it’s easier to get used to a well functioning ostomy than a “crappy” anus!

In this case though potential impact on survival is obviously also an issue.

OP: how old is the patient/what’s his anticipated survival otherwise, any concerns with tolerating an APR, etc

For sure. There is literature that QOL is better with an ostomy than a poor functioning anus. I try my best to impress this upon people, but they often don’t get it until they are soiling diapers 3-5 times per day.

For sure. There is literature that QOL is better with an ostomy than a poor functioning anus. I try my best to impress this upon people, but they often don’t get it until they are soiling diapers 3-5 times per day.
Had an Excon tell me that ostomy makes you a real target in prison.

Neoadjuvant ChemoXRT is increasing in popularity for patients with low rectal cancers. Hope is to increase the odds of doing an LAR with good margins over an APR, especially for younger patients.

Thank you all for the feedback - I find this forum really helpful for these pesky questions that are not quite answered by trials or the guidelines.

Similar questions - when would you offer post-op RT for T1 with high risk features or T2 lesions removed by transanal excision? What are your high risk criteria and distance for a comfortable margin?

Isn't there a rule of 2 for transanal excisions?

<T2
<2cm
>/= 2mm margins
</= sm2 invasion
</= Grade 2

Thank you all for the feedback - I find this forum really helpful for these pesky questions that are not quite answered by trials or the guidelines.

Similar questions - when would you offer post-op RT for T1 with high risk features or T2 lesions removed by transanal excision? What are your high risk criteria and distance for a comfortable margin?

Often for a T2 lesion where patient is refusing standard of care APR, our surg oncs present them for consideration of adjuvant chemo-XRT no matter what margins are. There are relatively high (at least compared to TME/APR/LAR) recurrence rates with T2 trans anal surgery with XRT adjuvant, so I'd imagine without adjuvant XRT it's even higher.

So I typically offer adjuvant XRT in a T2 trans anal case regardless of any other path features if patient is refusing a more standard surgery.

If T2 up front on MRI or EUS and patient refusing APR/TME, then I think very reasonable to give the radiation pre-op like the other ACOSOG trial posted above.

Reactions: 1 user