TA or clinical work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked to TA a class in the spring. I wont be taking anymore classes since Im a post bacc student and no amount of hours will improve my gpa in the spring. I also lack a good deal of clinical work. But my school has some sort of rule in place saying I cannot be a TA and then have an internship with the school, which is the only way to get these opportunies, as far as I know.

I plan on just studying for the MCAT once this semester is over.

I have volunteered in a hospital and worked for some doctors, albeit it was administrative work. So having a choice of one or the other, which would be more beneficial for me? The experience of working and getting clinical experience or being a TA?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been told that clinical work stands out more than being a TA. I did both and I was only asked about my clinical work during interviews. If you are going to get hands on experience then I would think that would be better, but who knows what schools do and don't look at.

I've done both, and the interviews I've been on have asked more about my experience as a TA. Granted I have a lot of experience as a TA, almost more than clinical. I would try to do both if possible, you don't necessarily have to go through the school to do clinical work.

I think you should definitely opt to do clinical work if you have no experience in this area. Adcoms want to know that you have experience in dealing with patients. This kind of experience will also give you something to write about in your personal statement and something for discussion in your interviews.