TA requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for most MSTP people to be required to do TAing like a standard grad student, or do some schools cut you slack because you need to get out sooner than straight PhDs?

Members don't see this ad.

At Duke, Pizzo told me that there are absolutely no TAing requirements throughout the program. However at washu some guy (Uncle Bob) said he'll like me to TA his organ and cell systems class. I don't know if he meant for extracurr/cash or if TAing is a requirement there. You can PM energy_girl and ask about washu specifically.

You can PM energy_girl and ask about washu specifically.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've had a few MSTP TA's in my biology classes. TAing, however, is completely optional.

JPaikman

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'd want to do any teaching - I've been a TA for three years now as an undergrad, and I want to move on... I know that if I stay at Manitoba, I won't have to. It's nice to know that other schools give you that option...

At UCSF, the MSTP itself has no teaching requirement, but most of the individual graduate programs require at least one quarter of TA'ing. Since there is no undergrad campus, you have the option of being a TA for graduate, medical, or some of the other professional schools.

Hey Brando,

At Wash U they tell me that MSTPs have a one-semester TA requirement. They typically TA 1st year MD courses, but can also do grad or undergrad courses. Some really like it and sign on for additional TA experiences. Rumor has it that the TA gig sometimes leads to intimate relationships and possibly marriage. Not sure how romance can blossom while poking around a cadaver, but it has apparently happened.

Also, regarding your thread about Canucks applying to US med schools, there are a number at Wash U. I think the MSTP told me that they interviewed 4 people from Canada this year and accepted 3 of them. Just tell 'em that you like your hockey and baseball in primary colours (Blues and Cardinal red) and you're in.

:wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by shamus1:
• colours •••••:clap: What part of Canada are you from?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Original:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by shamus1:
• colours •••••:clap: What part of Canada are you from?•••••As your esteemed President would say, "Gottcha!". But the fun of this forum is that it is anonymous, so no details will be forthcoming. We may have met on the interview trail, or maybe in another life. "Wherever you go, there you are."

I've long since given up any hope of anonymity. :wink: My pic is posted, everybody knows my school... Anybody from Brandon should be able to easily pick me out of a crowd. Luckily, there's nobody here...

Any, nice call, Original. :wink: I didn't notice that. But seriously, Americans, colour is spelled with a 'u'... :wink:

WashU is at the top of my list for next fall. To the point that, if I could, I would apply EDP there.

I guess I don't mind TA'ing, per se. It is a great way to meet women, now that you mention it... But I've done a LOT of that as an undergrad (the great thing about a small school), so it would be nice to focus more on my research. Still, I guess it is a rite of passage for a grad student...