Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!
  1. TwinkleToes

TwinkleToes ima miss

Medical Student
    Hey, does anyone use a tablet or tablet convertible for your classes?They seem like a good idea to wrtie notes on syllabi and stuff, but i'd rather have the opinion of someone that has experience with them. Any thoughts on their usefullness with respect to med school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Moving to technology Forum.

4. MJB

MJB Senior Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Too bad this got exiled...I was interested in the feedback you'd get.

:)

5. TwinkleToes

TwinkleToes ima miss

Medical Student
  6. kamna

kamna New Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, I am using tablet PC for last 2 yrs.
    It's a great thingh to be used for writing anywhere.
    But there are certain precation shoul be taken before you buy one:
    1. it needs practice to work with it.
    2.it takes a lot of time in converting and editing text.
    3.lastly but most important; choose a smaller sized pc, it helps a lot, handy in carrying anywhere. Though I use tecra M4 of Toshiba of 14.1 inch screen but now I think it would have been better if I had a screen size of 12 inches. For home usage a larger sized monitor can be bought separately.
    I there is any specific question, feel free to mail me.
    bye
    kamna

7. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I have a Lenovo X41 tablet and am 7 long (or short) weeks from being done with MSI. I LOVE it. If you have ppt files, you can draw, highlight, circle or write right on the ppt file. Get Agilix GoBinder for less than $100 and you can "print" pdf files to it and highlight, write, add pages, etc. just as if it were regular paper - but it'll be on your computer. For those professors that say "shut down your computers so you can concentrate on my talk", it can look like your computer is closed but you can still be taking notes or checking email (ok, or playing games if you're bored), thanks to the convertible feature. And the MS education pack comes with a "snipping" tool that allows you to cut and paste anything as it appears on your screen. Very handy. And it's a good size to carry around - it's the 12" version. VERY lightweight.

As for the handwriting recognition - I don't use it. I just leave stuff in my own handwriting. If it's that much stuff to write down, I generally type faster than I write, so I'll put typewritten comments in the file instead of handwriting. If it's just a sentence here and there, I'll write it and leave it as is.

If this thing ever craps out on me (or if I spill coffee on it), I'm buying another tablet.

8. emeddo

emeddo OMS

Resident [Any Field]
    I have posted several times on behalf of tablets and so in order to save my breath this time I just want to say that half the poeple in my class with laptops are all now wishing they bough tablets (some have). If you are going to get a computer spend the extra and go with a tablet, its not too much more and a drop in the bucket compared to your other expenses.

OneNote 2007 is an amazing upgrade. The search capabilities are amazing. The beauty of it is that it uses OCR technology so you can search not only your own handwriting, but all of the charts and graphs and stuff in your professors powerpoints. I have everything in onenote so when I'm studying I type in a search term, it brings up not only the notes on that term, but all the old exam questions that I have put into onenote regarding that topic.

Notice that you hardly ever hear of people without tablets saying don't get a tablet, its just people who have never used them that tell you not to. Go down to office depot and try one for yourself.

9. hb2998

Resident [Any Field]
    I totally agree, but don't forget to mention that you can also search audio files. Another really cool feature I like about OneNote is that you can import lecture audio files (or record audio during lecture), either way the program will jump to the notes you took at specific times during the lecture. Want to hear what the professor was saying that led you to write a note?... well just click the play button that appears when you hover over the note. A truly amazing software.

I have an X60 tablet on order. (Intel Core Duo L2500 1.83ghz LV, xga multitouch/multiview, 2gb ram, 100gb 7200 rpm hdd, vista business, 4 year accidental warranty mail-in.. had to save some money, two 8-cell batteries = 16 hours of play... i mean.. studying, + a webcam) I can't wait. If you can wait... wait for the Intel Core 2 Duo L7200 LV to come out.. I couldn't wait. I changed my order about 5 times. There was an incredible coupon available that lowered the price from $3200--->$2900. I wanted to buy an extra stylus, but I would prefer to keep the $50 bucks in the bank for the interest.

10. kylek044

Post Doc
    I've been only using a tablet for the past three years... and I will never use a regular laptop again.

The pen makes the computer so much more accessible...plus, I ALWAYS win on inklink!

11. emeddo

emeddo OMS

Resident [Any Field]

I hardly go to class anymore because of this feature. I just drop the recording onto the page, hit play and take notes. Then when I review for the exam its all synced up. Definitley a time saver. My only problem with the audio search is that it takes like three hours to index one hour, if you are in class even only five hours a day you can do the math on how much time your system would be running to index it.

The truly hidden gem of OneNote 2007 is the shared folders. The moment my laptop gets within range of my home wireless network it starts syncing with my desktop (automatically making a backup) and I can open up my notes on either and they are completely the same. Check out www.erikpaul.net for some tutorials a student in one of our classes has made for using OneNote. He has a link on the left side for OneNote stuff.