TAD for Fellowship Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyDoctor2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any way to get TAD orders for fellowship interviews so I don't have to burn up leave? Would be starting the summer I separate? Navy if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your Command. Usually it's not a problem getting no-cost TAD, but every Command is different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're getting out (not retiring), generally no. The Navy usually won't pay for people to go interview for their post-Navy jobs.

Even "no-cost" TAD has a cost associated with it.

For my fellowship interviews, I was able to get no-cost TAD because it was a FTOS position and I was coming back to the Navy afterward. I've heard that some people have been able to get funded TAD for FTOS interviews.

Think of it this way - if a lance corporal was getting out of the Marine Corps after doing his 4 year term, would you expect the military to pay for him to travel for civilian job interviews or to check out different colleges or vocational programs?

I received no-cost TAD for fellowship interviews, I also personally know an individual who received funded TAD orders for fellowship (FTOS) interviews.
talk to the powers that be...and cross your fingers.

Reactions: 1 user
I received no-cost TAD for fellowship interviews, I also personally know an individual who received funded TAD orders for fellowship (FTOS) interviews.
talk to the powers that be...and cross your fingers.

Fellowship to be done once you were out of the military or still part of a military obligation?

I got 60 days terminal leave and job hunting leave, and a SecNav waiver of the 10 year retirement requirement. I think they were glad to be rid of me.