Take 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you former scramblers, any idea as to what to do for SLORs? I will not have the chance to do another EM rotation this year (woohoo surgery), but obviously I'll need SLORs if I'm going to reapply for EM. Can I use the same letters or do I need to get new ones this year?

I guess this question also applies for my non-EM LORs as well.

Any help would be appreicated!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be stating the obvious here, but a letter from your prelim PD is important, I have been told.

Regarding using LORs that you already have, maybe this experience might help:
I was originally part of the class of 2006 (and therefore had LORs for last year originally) before I took time off for research. The Office of Student Affairs at my school said I had to contact each of my letter writer's again and get written permission to use their letter this year.

I am not sure if this was just my school being a PITA or if there is some ERAS or NRMP rule...but, yes, you can use your SLORs again.

ncc

I may be stating the obvious here, but a letter from your prelim PD is important, I have been told.

I've heard the same from people who switch residencies. An LOR from the PD at your prelim program carries alot of weight. All the more reason to dig in and work hard on that prelim year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the same from people who switch residencies. An LOR from the PD at your prelim program carries alot of weight. All the more reason to dig in and work hard on that prelim year.

Ah okay...thanks for that. Any opinions on the SLORs? Can they just reuse the old SLOR or do they need to fill out a new form? Any opinions would be welcome!

Regarding using LORs that you already have, maybe this experience might help:
I was originally part of the class of 2006 (and therefore had LORs for last year originally) before I took time off for research. The Office of Student Affairs at my school said I had to contact each of my letter writer's again and get written permission to use their letter this year.

I am not sure if this was just my school being a PITA or if there is some ERAS or NRMP rule...but, yes, you can use your SLORs again.

ncc

Also might want to contact your school's administration soon. Mine just sent out a recent email telling of ERAS erasing all your documents and that the school will send our stuff (i.e. LORs/SLORs) to File 13.