Take a break from being neurotic.!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So since it's now the waiting game for a bunch of you out there and I bet 90% of you are still running around the forums, lets have a chat!

Virchow says that doctors are the natural attorneys for the poor...what do you think?

Why are physicians in a unique position to comment on the suffering of the poor?

What does our current healthcare system do about this? In what ways does it need to improve?

and Go!

( disclaimer: we can all take a hint from Bambi--> if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not doing your homework for you.

Reactions: 17 users
Desperate troll is sad. 3/10

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like someone has a medical ethics course...

Reactions: 1 users
I've already prepped for interviews, thanks. I thought you meant something fun.

Reactions: 3 users
"Take a break from premed by talking about med." Nah.

Reactions: 5 users
I wanted an actual break, not this horsesh**.

welp. guess all of you failed kindergarten.

Part of me thought this would be the response I'd get, hence the Bambi quote. If you didn't want to do it, you didn't even have to post anything and you could go back to refreshing your inbox for the 57th time.

Maturity level = -3/10.

Not my homework, just something I've been thinking about for awhile and wanted to talk it out. And not interview prep, I'm not applying this cycle.

Nevermind.

spoiled pre-med is spoiled.

I'm sorry, spoiled pre-med. You can't always get what you want. Especially when you mislabel it. You made it sound like you had something really fun in here, and instead you offered a scholarly discussion. Now, I happen to find those really fun, but I don't like to engage with people who whine so quickly when they don't get their way.

You really can't expect to post on the internet and tell people not to respond unless they are going to play your game. Also, wait more than 16 hours before flouncing off mad that no one was willing to give you what you wanted. I was considering giving you a serious answer until I saw your response. You really might have found some stimulating discourse here had you gone about it a little less childishly.

Can't we all just get along?

What I don't understand about this whole place is that if you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread...why bother posting at all?
Do you all just enjoy being cruel to each other? It's incredibly easy to be rude anonymously. Fine. I get it. But you're all going to be doctors someday. 90% of the threads I've read dissolve into ridiculous name calling -- myself included apparently and for that I apologize. But you're going to be a part of somebody's care team someday and this type of crap is not going to fly. Or help anyone get anything done.
I get that we need thick skin as physicians. I'm from the "walk it off" and "quit ya bitching" generation.

But there's being a good friend and giving your buddy a foot in the ass when they need to work harder and there's being childish and mean.
And sorry if I came off as childish in the first post. I'll work better on my titles. I'd have rather this thread been empty then all the crap that came after it.

I'm sorry I got "whiny" when I "didn't get my way". I just held all of you to a higher standard of human beings that could resist the urge to put people down. . As peers someday, I hope we can work together.

That's better.

I was really up for a real conversation. I have some serious procrastinating to do. But I was turned off the idea by your response, especially the bit about spoiled pre-meds. There really was a bait-and-switch and it is legit to be annoyed by that.

But getting back to the discussion that you attempted to start:

"Physicians" is a large heterogenous group. So is "the poor." There are some docs who really dedicate themselves to the service of people who have much less material wealth. There are others who refuse to consider certain specialties for purely financial reasons. There are poor people who haven't had opportunities or the education to know how to take decent care of themselves. There are some who are able to change their situations, and there are others who may not feel inclined to do so.

What I mostly see from physicians that I know is a lot of judgment toward the poor. There is a lot of "just world" fallacy. The idea that everything will work out right for people who are virtuous and hard working enough, and so if someone isn't materially successful, that is evidence that they are flawed or at fault in some way. There is no appreciation that luck plays such an extraordinary role in all of our fates. That as much hard work as you and I have had to put into becoming who we are with the opportunities we have... we could not have done that work had we not be gifted with certain fortunate accidents of birth. We happened to be born into this time, this place, to our particular families. Educational opportunities were available, and yes, we worked hard to exploit them, but those opportunities were not universally available.

Virchow wrote that at a time when "the poor" were still mostly thought of as animals, requiring a champion from among the valuable classes. The masses have since shown themselves pretty capable of speaking for themselves. They do need physicians, though. Not only to treat sicknesses and injuries, but to educate. People really don't know how to take good care of themselves and avoid illness. We think that they do, because we do, and it is easy to believe that everyone knows what we know. But they don't. Look at the number of diet scams, homeopathic cold treatments, etc. The masses don't need physicians to be their attorneys, they need them to be their teachers and coaches. 10 minute appointments focused on single issues, and don't ask open ended questions? That is a recipe for uselessness. You want to fix health care and improve socioeconomic status for wide swaths of the population? Make doctors more able to spend time with their patients. Tincture of time really is curative, if that time is well spent.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you saying that the poor are not thought of as animals anymore?

Not by quite so many, and not so explicitly. There are certainly some who think that way. There are some popular medical bloggers who offend me on the regular, or would if I would let them. But I would say that the vast majority of people, even physicians, have a more nuanced view.

That is a problem of talking about big issues in small soundbites. Very little is homogenous enough to make blanket assertions about.

There is a wonderful book: You Are Not So Smart. You would probably enjoy it. And find it a more fun and productive use of your waiting time than most any other thing you could do.

I've had to buy two new copies just to finish it, since I loaned it to deep thinking friends who never gave it back. Some books are good enough to steal.

do u even lift bro

This thread still makes no sense