Take a look at podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoff325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like podiatry. But DON'T go promoting in other forums.

To all of you people who think you are on the cusp of MD programs, take a look at podiatry. Take an EDUCATED look that is. Specialize (although limiting specialization field), do surgery, admit patients, prescribe medicine, NOT primary care, fewer average hours, ability to grow practice through repeat business (diabetic wound care), rarely if ever on call. Sounds like a good deal to me. Or you can try for the carribean/DO schools and have a 80+ percent chance of being heavily steered into primary care/internal medicine. t

Maybe you're the one who needs to do some educated research

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a What Are My Chances question. Moving to the regular Pre-Allo forum with an advance reminder to everyone to treat other members with respect.

You will find that most members in this forum respect the profession, but have been drawn to other areas of medicine.

Maybe you're the one who needs to do some educated research

BTW - Saying that 80% of DO and Caribbean go into primary care is not a put down, and is actually an educated statement. DO schools are ALL about primary care, and a majority of Caribbean school graduates go into primary care. The reasons are different...

DO = they want to train primary care doctors, and people who want to go into primary care go there and become great doctors.

Caribbean = not as competitive so many end up in internal medicine.

Point stands, he wasn't insulting DO and Caribbean grades, and his statement was educated.

To all of you people who think you are on the cusp of MD programs, take a look at podiatry. Take an EDUCATED look that is. Specialize (although limiting specialization field), do surgery, admit patients, prescribe medicine, NOT primary care, fewer average hours, ability to grow practice through repeat business (diabetic wound care), rarely if ever on call. Sounds like a good deal to me. Or you can try for the carribean/DO schools and have a 80+ percent chance of being heavily steered into primary care/internal medicine.

Talk to people in the medical field, not other pre-med people that you know that don't know anything about podiatry. I always describe it to people in terms of where dentistry was 10 years ago. Smart people are becoming more aware of it and choosing to go into it, instead of going into it as a last resort.

Just an idea for some to think about

While you are suggesting that pre meds take an EDUCATED look at podiatry.......you should take an EDUCATED look at DO schools, instead of spouting out false information.

BTW - Saying that 80% of DO and Caribbean go into primary care is not a put down, and is actually an educated statement. DO schools are ALL about primary care, and a majority of Caribbean school graduates go into primary care. The reasons are different...

DO = they want to train primary care doctors, and people who want to go into primary care go there and become great doctors.

Caribbean = not as competitive so many end up in internal medicine.

Point stands, he wasn't insulting DO and Caribbean grades, and his statement was educated.

It wasnt that it was a put down...it as that it was false information. 80%??? Seriously. Thats incredibly inaccurate. Yes, they emphasize students going in to primary care, but by no means are you forced to go into primary care. I told my interviewers flat out that I probably wasnt going to go into primary care, and I was still acceptd. I dont know too much about caribvean schools, but my guess is is that the percentage that go into primary care is not that high either.

Last edited:
ugh i'm also getting flooded with e-mails from podiatry schools

While you are suggesting that pre meds take an EDUCATED look at podiatry.......you should take an EDUCATED look at DO and caribbean schools, instead of spouting out false information.

During a speech from a big wig in the osteopathic medical school system specifically said they steer their graduates/aim to accept people who are heading towards primary care.

Caribbean schools tend to steer their graduates towards primary care so they have a better chance of matching. Higher match rate makes the school look better.

He was not wrong, but was also not insulting you. All osteopathic school administrators I have spoken with take pride in steering their profession and their schools towards primary care.

During a speech from a big wig in the osteopathic medical school system specifically said they steer their graduates/aim to accept people who are heading towards primary care.

Caribbean schools tend to steer their graduates towards primary care so they have a better chance of matching. Higher match rate makes the school look better.

He was not wrong, but was also not insulting you. All osteopathic school administrators I have spoken with take pride in steering their profession and their schools towards primary care.

Yes, they emphsaize primary care........but 80% is no where the number of DO applicants that go into primary care. Off the top of my head, its somewhere in the low 60s. He was wrong. And as I've already said, they accept people who are not interested in primary care, as I specifically told them that I wasnt and was still accepted.

Des Moines University has facilities and courses SPECIFICALLY to gain exposure to SURGERY. Their dean is/used to be a surgeon and is really gung ho about studnets going into surgery. They have their own surgical ORs to practice in, simulation labs, and a course during 2nd year on surgical techniques.

EDIT: Here is a reference for you that shows how INACCURATE the OPs claims were. Even my estimate of low 60s was too high. Feel free to become educated.

"Slightly more than one half (52 percent) of osteopathic medical students are choosing residency training outside of primary care. Only 21 percent of osteopathic medical residents are in family medicine training programs, down from 37 percent in 1996 and 31 percent in 2002 (Figure 2).2 This trend mirrors choices by allopathic graduates, of whom 9 percent are currently in family medicine residency programs."

Last edited:
Yes, they emphsaize primary care........but 80% is no where the number of DO applicants that go into primary care. Off the top of my head, its somewhere in the low 60s. He was wrong. And as I've already said, they accept people who are not interested in primary care, as I specifically told them that I wasnt and was still accepted.

Des Moines University has facilities and courses SPECIFICALLY to gain exposure to SURGERY. Their dean is/used to be a surgeon and is really gung ho about studnets going into surgery. They have their own surgical ORs to practice in, simulation labs, and a course during 2nd year on surgical techniques.

EDIT: Here is a reference for you that shows how INACCURATE the OPs claims were. Even my estimate of low 60s was too high. Feel free to become educated.

"Slightly more than one half (52 percent) of osteopathic medical students are choosing residency training outside of primary care. Only 21 percent of osteopathic medical residents are in family medicine training programs, down from 37 percent in 1996 and 31 percent in 2002 (Figure 2).2 This trend mirrors choices by allopathic graduates, of whom 9 percent are currently in family medicine residency programs."

Okay maybe 80% was high, point taken...

yeah, sorry, 80 percent was high and an uneducated quick guess. i will own up to my mistake. and none of it was meant to insult anyone.

We had a podiatrist present in a health professions class at my school. It was interesting, but I don't think it is my thing. Can't say I've really looked into it all the way, though.

To all of you people who think you are on the cusp of MD programs, take a look at podiatry. Take an EDUCATED look that is. Specialize (although limiting specialization field), do surgery, admit patients, prescribe medicine, NOT primary care, fewer average hours, ability to grow practice through repeat business (diabetic wound care), rarely if ever on call. Sounds like a good deal to me. Or you can try for the carribean/DO schools and have a 80+ percent chance of being heavily steered into primary care/internal medicine.

Talk to people in the medical field, not other pre-med people that you know that don't know anything about podiatry. I always describe it to people in terms of where dentistry was 10 years ago. Smart people are becoming more aware of it and choosing to go into it, instead of going into it as a last resort.

Just an idea for some to think about

I mean you could ask why not a PA, dentist, PT, etc. The point is I don't see how becoming a podiatrist is any more appealing than a dentist or PA. I think MD or DO schools are more appealing than podiatry because I can can choose what I field I can work in.

Also going to a DO school does not mean there is a 80% you will become a primary care doc. You have a 100% chance to become any type of a doctor, it just happens 80% end up in primary care.

I mean you could ask why not a PA, dentist, PT, etc..

I agree. Those are all good choices and options. I was throwing an idea out there that is not always in front of students. I went to a Big Ten University with a top 20 medical school and my advisor never once mentioned it to me. Also, in the 2008 edition of the Princeton Reviews 168 medical school book...to paraphrase...if allopathic or osteopathic medical school is not an option, look at dentistry, physician assistant, physical therapy or naturopathic medicine....No mention of podiatry. Naturopathic medicine over podiatry??? I am surprised then that they didnt mention DC's.

Anyways, I don't think this thread went where I wanted it to, and some of that is my fault. I didnt mean to be negative towards DO schools or primary care/internal medicine. It was meant for people sitting around with a 27-30 mcat score. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.