Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

take anatomy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Auron, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos

Pre-Dental
    I was wondering if I should take anatomy next year (junior year) and was wondering if it helped anyone with mcat etc?

Right now I'm going to register for animal physiology - but the thing is that you need cell/molec biology as a pre-req. But my advisor kinda told me I could still take it:confused: Has anyone done this? take a science class without completing the pre-req? He said something that I'm in a different catologue year or something.

I'm guessing animal phys would be much more helpful then anatomy for the mcat, correct?

How would you rate these classes in terms of usefulness: anatomy, cell/molec biology, animal physiology?

Any help appreciated,

thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    The MCAT doesn't test any anatomy, so taking it for that won't do any good. I've heard that having some anatomy background in undergrad is a big help when you're adjusting to the courseload in med school. And as far as MCAT prep, definitely phys and cell bio are the ones to go with.

4. Kfire326

Medical Student
    When it comes to the MCAT:
    cell/molec biology > animal physio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anatomy

I took the April 06 test (paper and pencil)...I remember there being a lot of molecular bio/genetics on there. Intro level physio was fine on the bio section.

--> 11 BS

5. Kfire326

Medical Student
    A prof. at my school who has taught both undergrad and med school biochem told me that its not Biochemistry OR anatomy that hurts MSI's.. but the combination of both that does them in. He told me a solid background in at least one (either one) of the two would be ideal for MSI performance :thumbup:

6. Institute

Medical Student

If anything, you should take it as a pass/fail (audit) if it's allowed and not required by your degree. Not necessarily sure how med schools look upon that, but I would imagine that it shouldn't matter.

This is what I do with classes that I don't need but would like to expand my knowledge in.

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    Not for most people. You're gonna forget everything other than the femur and ulna, and most undergrad anatomy probably doesn't bother with the detail that medical school does, so you might as well save yourself the hassle. Med school will teach you all the anatomy you need.

8. scrubsaresexy

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking anatomy because I want to. And because sometimes, you can take a class for your major that isn't a pre-req for med school *gasp* Who knew??

But for usefulness, Anatomy probably isn't really going to be all that great.

9. jojocola

jojocola Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Ya, same here I'm taking anatomy for fun.

10. jjmack

jjmack Senior Member

MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
    stay away from anatomy for as long as possible...