Take another Bio class or focus on MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTAtoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...I am debating the Spring 2013 semester. After wrapping up Physics 2 and Organic Chem 2 this semester I will be finished with all required classes. The first 3 weeks of Jan I'm taking the Princeton Review MCAT course, then taking the MCAT in March. The Biology classes I've take are as follows:

General Bio (C)- 2002
Anatomy and Physiology both with lab (A,A) - 2007
Neurobiology (A) - 2011

I started to take Microbiology in Fall of 2011 but had to take a W due to a family death. Should I retake that in the Spring while studying for the MCAT to show I can do it and to have a recent Bio class? Or just focus on the MCAT?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know most med schools require 2 semesters of Gen Bio with lab. Take the second semester of Gen Bio with lab, it will also help for the MCAT.

I wasn't going to take gen bio over because afterwards I took so many other Bio and Science classes and got As and a few Bs, so it seemed irrelevant now. Anatomy and Physiology with labs count as Bio classes, so I don't have to take gen bio 2...I should give more background I guess I'm sorry...
I took 2 years of general undergrad for an AS in general studies (transfer degree), went into the Air Force and did 4 years active duty, transitioned to 2 more years of reserves while getting my AS in Physical Therapy Assistant. Got married, had a kid, then started practicing as a physical therapy assistant. Then went back and finished my BS in Psychology (while still practicing full time in a hospital) with lots of behavioral neuroscience classes in there for the emphasis. I've taken Gen Chem 1/2, Gen Bio, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology of Disease, Kinesiology, NeuroRehab, Pharmacology, Physics 1/2, Organic Chem 1/2, Neurobiology, Biological Basis of Cancer, Biological basis of behavior, along with lots of other physical therapy classes...Now I've wrapped up the last two required pre-med classes this semester and paid for an intense 3 week course for the MCAT in Jan. In that semester while I'm studying for the MCAT and getting ready to apply in June, should I take another Bio class or just focus on the MCAT? I'm not worried about if the class will prep me for the MCAT, I have taken all of those classes and have every princeton review book. So if I do take a class, should it be the Microbiology I got a W in, or a different class altogether, or just focus on the MCAT?? I just don't want to regret not taking something that may have benefited me, while I will still be working full time and taking care of my daughter of course. I am not sure what admissions will want or see as more important.

Last edited: