Take B/B- in summer physics or withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My summer physics class is insanely difficult and intense, especially with the most difficult physics teacher. I believe I'm getting a B- or a B. Since the deadline for withdrawing is at the end of this week, I need to decide whether I should continue this class or not. I'm concerned about this because I heard that medical schools look down on anything lower than an A in summer classes. If you were me, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Now you gotta think about this...average med schools get application volume per year of anywhere from 4,000-10,000 for 40-200 seats available. Lets say there are about 5 resources per medical school that are hired to decide on what candidates they would like to select. No can you imagine the amount of time it would take them to look through your entire transcript and go...he...wahoo2010 got a B in a summer physics class...I don't think this kid is cut out for medical school because of this. Kick him/her out of the pool.

Seriously though they look at trends per year (not that big in the consideration process). The overall has a much bigger impact, so do your MCATs, ECs, Res, etc...So if you get a B in Physics II consider yourself lucky that is a tough class...especially the calc based one. I don't think you want to withdraw. That's just my two cents. If you decide otherwise go ahead. The funny thing is I took PHY II over the summer two and thought I would get a B or C in it and ended up with an A because the curve had to be pretty high due to the difficulty of the material and the performance of the rest of the class. I wish you best of luck :)

Stay. It's not that big of a deal. I just finished up my Spring semester and ended up with a B- in cellular bio. Before the term started, I was expecting an A. Needless to say, I was disappointed but I'm moving on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely stay in. Most of my core science grades were B's. While I don't recommend that, a few B's are JUST FINE. Is your GPA at least a 3.5? If it is, then stop stressing over this. Some A's, some B's, you'll be fine.

Just don't get a C. That's a blemish.

I assume you're taking the course over the summer for a good reason (it won't fit into your schedule during the fall/spring semester?), so I wouldn't advise dropping it just because you might get a B/B-. I myself took physics I and II over the summer while working 45+ hours/week. This wasn't the brightest idea, and I ended up with a B in Physics I and a B+ in Physics II. Not one interviewer brought it up, however, and I'm positive it had no affect on my admissions decisions.

Caveat: Where are you taking this summer course? If it's at your own undergrad institution/comparable institution, you're fine. If it's at a community college, the lower grades might register as more of a negative.

Stick it out. Making a "B" is not the end of the world and will not make or break you for med school. You guys are in for a world of hurt when you fail your first test or make a C in med school.

My summer physics class is insanely difficult and intense, especially with the most difficult physics teacher. I believe I'm getting a B- or a B. Since the deadline for withdrawing is at the end of this week, I need to decide whether I should continue this class or not. I'm concerned about this because I heard that medical schools look down on anything lower than an A in summer classes. If you were me, what would you do?

You heard wrong.

Finish the course. It's not worth the time or money that it would take you to redo. Tell whoever you heard that from that they are wrong.

I assume you're taking the course over the summer for a good reason (it won't fit into your schedule during the fall/spring semester?)

I had to take Physics I this summer because it conflicts with two of my fall semester classes. I will take Physics II next spring.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'll stay and finish it.

ROFLMAO. I made a C+ in a summer orgo class.

7-8 interviews, 3 acceptances.

Seriously, a B? I woulda killed for a B in orgo.