Take biochem or retake organic 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poptropica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry guys if this question seems a little bit repetitive. This will be my second time applying to pharmacy school if I don't make it in this year then I will finish my degree in biology and apply with my bachelors.

If you guys read my previous post then you know that I have a math/science GPA of 2.99. I received a C in organic chem 2. The pharmacy schools I will be applying to averages retakes (so if I wish to take organic 2 again I must make an A to average it out to a B) I don't have a problem retaking organic again if that's what I have to do to become a pharmacist then I'll do it. But how will it benefit me if it doesn't really help boost my GPA all that much?

If I retake organic 2 I can guarantee you that I can make a B in the class (I'm not sure if I can make an A) but average of a B and a C would be a C+, which would probably bring my GPA up by .05 points.

I will be taking biochemistry next semester, and hopefully make an "A" OR "B" in the class. It is an upper level science course but the problem is even if I do well in biochem my grade won't be averaged into my math/science GPA because biochem is not a prerequisite for most pharmacy schools prepharmacy courses.

I wouldn't be worried about retakeing organic if my GPA was a 3.3-3.4, but since its on the low side I'm not to sure.
Orgo 1-B (lab C)
Orgo 2-C (lab C)

The only C's I have are in organic and the rest of my grades are B's.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you retaking it. You have a good chance of getting an A in that class. What was your PCAT score when you applied the first time?

I believe biochemistry should avg into your math/science gpa. you are right most schools don't require the course as a pre-req, but it does fall under the math/scinece catgetory. is your biochemistry chemical or biology based? Taking biochemistry may or may not help your application stand out, however, the course will prepare you for 1st year pharm courses.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will find biochemistry is way more helpful for pharmacy school than retaking organic. Most schools don't require it because they are going to teach it to you. So would you rather start out pharmacy school seeing all the material for the first time or having it be a review? If you are worried about getting into pharmacy school, I'm not sure one class will be the difference but I would try my hardest to get that GPA just above a 3.0.

I think you will find biochemistry is way more helpful for pharmacy school than retaking organic. Most schools don't require it because they are going to teach it to you. So would you rather start out pharmacy school seeing all the material for the first time or having it be a review? If you are worried about getting into pharmacy school, I'm not sure one class will be the difference but I would try my hardest to get that GPA just above a 3.0.

Bolded above is what I was thinking. Not to mention that re-taking the course only slightly raises your GPA (assuming you get the A). If you take Biochem and perform well, then it shows that you can handle a difficult science course and that you must have learned something in Organic.

With a 2.99, the biggest thing to do is make sure you do well in all of your classes from here on out. You need to be heading in an upward direction.

If it's a school that you want to apply to and they need a B average for all your classes, then take it over again and get A's in both the lecture and lab. As others said, biochemistry will help you in your P1 year.