Take biochemistry while studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chowchow6512000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to have my summer free so I am planning on studying for the MCAT during Fall semester, during the 1 month winter break, and part of Spring semester and taking the January 26th MCAT.

My question is: should I take biochemistry while studying for the MCAT? At my school, biochemistry is the hardest and most work intensive course in my major and if I take this course (along with other not as work/study intensive science courses), I do not know how much time I will have to devote to MCAT. Is biochemistry really necessary to do well on the MCAT? I have studied for a month, took the August 5th MCAT, and voided it. I did not really see much biochemistry on the MCAT.. but then again, since I have not taken the course, I do not know if biochemistry perhaps gives a more complete understanding of biological passages and REALLY does help.

As of now, I plan on getting out of the biochemistry course so I can study for the MCAT. I plan on taking biochemistry fall semester of senior year.

Is this a good plan? Appreciate the help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It helps, but its difficult to keep up with and study for the MCAT at the same time. I took it whilst studying in a 6 week intensive course and it ate up basically all of my freetime and limited how much time i could devote for the MCAT.

I guess it depends on what other classes you would be taking along with Biochemistry. I'm in a similar situation (planning to void 8/19 and retaking in Jan.- studying during school and winter break) and this fall I am taking biochemistry, developmental biology, and then an easy class along with research. I have heard that biochemistry is not necessary for the mcat, however I would imagine it would help. I'm taking biochemistry this fall instead of the spring semester because I still have several upper level classes left and of those, I thought biochem and developmental bio would be most helpful in preparing for studying.
I think much of the biochem that we don't necessarily recognize on the MCAT is because it's a combination of orgo and biology- both of which we're familiar with. However, biochem might help to connect the two better as you will see many biological based passages that deal with orgo questions, etc.
You could always go to the first week of class and talk with the professor/self-predict how intense the course will be for you. I'm not sure how your school works, but at mine we have a week to drop and add classes.

Good luck!

It depends on your schedule and your course load and if you can fit studying for the MCAT in. If you've got a lot on your plate, better hold off on biochem but if you feel that you can do it, then by all means go ahead. Biochem is not absolutely necessary to know for the test but it is good for exposure and practice. Hope this helps, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think biochem is 'necessary' for the MCAT. It should help with your understanding of basic stuff in bio and ochem. biochem is not that hard of a class. Actually found it interesting.

I don't think biochem is 'necessary' for the MCAT. It should help with your understanding of basic stuff in bio and ochem. biochem is not that hard of a class. Actually found it interesting.
I do not necessarily agree with that. Contrary to what have been said on SDN, I think biochem, genetics and physiology are important class to take before sitting for the MCAT. I just took that test today and I was shocked how much biochem and physiology that test had.