This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuminatorMan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am a first year at a top university in the U.S.
I intend to declare a Biology major, however, I am not sure yet.
My question is, do you think I should take (our) Gen Chem and Physics 1 in my sophomore year, or Gen Chem and a higher level Bio that is recommended for the MCAT, and necessary for the Bio major instead?
The level of difficulty at this university is very high so taking chem and physics at the same time is really intimidating. However, I need to get physics done since it is a pre-med pre-req.
What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

If it was me, I would do Chem and Physics. You need physics for the MCAT also

Reactions: 1 user
Take physics, you will need it for the MCAT and as a prerequisite for most med schools. For me it was a lot easier than my bio classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. I took ochem and physics together and it wasn't bad. Physics is very conceptual IMO. I would either not have to study for a quiz because I understood it or study forever and still barely understand it.

My recommendation is that you pace yourself. If the level of difficulty is high at your college then it's probably best to just take them one at a time. What's the rush? Most applicants apply during their senior year anyway and take a gap year instead of rushing through to med school. The chances of you getting screwed by overloading yourself is much higher and then you'll have to take a gap year anyway to improve your app. Med school is gonna be there regardless so take it slow and do it right.