Take EPPP Before 2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blakjak12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am completing internship right now, and had heard talk from other interns (and just searched through a few older posts on this forum) about the EPPP changes. In order to save money, time, and hassle, it looks like it would be worth making an effort to take this before 2020, at which time the EPPP will become twice the cost and will require two parts from what I have heard and according to this:

Second Exam for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) to be Mandatory

So, is that correct that prior to 2020 is the date I should shoot for? I will be starting a new job soon and am planning to talk with supervising faculty more then about this process, but figured info sooner rather than later couldn't hurt. I am planning to start searching for study materials and tips soon, but any other suggestions certainly are welcomed in the meantime!

Members don't see this ad.

And one other question before I forget: How long are your scores good for after you take the EPPP (e.g., if I take it in 2018/2019 and pass are they still good for 2020, 2021, etc)?

If you are finishing internship now, then yes, you should definitely take the EPPP before 2020, regardless of when EPPP2 rolls out. Most people take that before they're done with postdoc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scores are good forever

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know, and thank you both for the quick responses. And yeah, it definitely seems like getting this out of the way sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Although the advice previously mentioned is probably the best you will hear, the one guarantee in psychology licensing is that there are no guarantees.

ASPBB said (in their presentation to the CA board) that they would consider anyone who passes the one and only section of EPPP before 1/1/2020 as "having passed the EPPP," and therefore it's not necessary for them to retake it ever, it's up to the individual state boards.

That's consistent with how they consider this an "entry level test for generalist licensure," and therefore should be used for that level of practice, rather than a way to assess someone who has been working in the field for a while (like internship and post-doc) and developed a speciality (like the various ABPP boards are styled).

But then this is up to the individual state boards to write their regulations.

So if you pass it tomorrow and then decide in 50 years to move to the State of Trumplania (that being the area in the ocean that has dried up and become a state following the actions of you know who)...Trumplania's Board of Psychology might write in its regulations that in order to pass the EPPP you have to pass both Part 1 and Part 2 of the EPPP. Then sucks to be you. In order to move to Trumplania and become licensed psychologist there then you have to take and pass both Parts 1 and 2.

That being said I really don't suggest that you move to Trumplania. They've got some nice golf ranges but other than that it's going to be a real hellhole.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the advice, and that all makes sense. I do know where I am headed now and have some good contacts there, so I should hopefully be able to get a solid sense of what the license boards will be expected.

ASPPB conceptualizes EPPP-1 and EPPP-2 as two halves of one exam. One can't pass the EPPP without passing both halves.

Therefore, to pass the EPPP up until 12/31/2019, one would only need to pass the unitary EPPP that is currently in existence.

However, after 1/1/2020, to pass the EPPP, one would need to pass both the EPPP-1 and EPPP-2 because neither is a standalone measure. It doesn't matter that the EPPP-1 that will be introduced in 2020 will be analagous to the unitary EPPP that currently exists.

Either way, you've passed the EPPP.

I think it's a good idea for anyone who can take the EPPP to consider taking the EPPP before the end of 2019.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am completing internship right now, and had heard talk from other interns (and just searched through a few older posts on this forum) about the EPPP changes. In order to save money, time, and hassle, it looks like it would be worth making an effort to take this before 2020, at which time the EPPP will become twice the cost and will require two parts from what I have heard and according to this:

Second Exam for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) to be Mandatory

So, is that correct that prior to 2020 is the date I should shoot for? I will be starting a new job soon and am planning to talk with supervising faculty more then about this process, but figured info sooner rather than later couldn't hurt. I am planning to start searching for study materials and tips soon, but any other suggestions certainly are welcomed in the meantime!

Yes, before January 2020.

I just saw this on a list-serv I read:

Dear ECP Colleagues,

A few days ago, ASPPB released the attached letter rescinding their decision to require all states and provinces to implement Part 2 of the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). Part 2 is skills-based exam planned for a 2020 release, and is expected to complement the current version of the EPPP, which assesses knowledge. This decision allows jurisdictions to choose whether or not they will adopt the second part of the EPPP when it is released. CECP is concerned about the implications of this decision. We are continuing to monitor the following issues:

· Mobility. Having some states take on Part 2 while others do not is likely to increase the difficulties people have moving from one state to another and getting licensed. This may particularly deter service in rural communities that already struggle to have enough qualified mental health professionals to provide sufficient care.

· Permanence. The language of the letter leaves the door open to change this decision in the future. It is important to realize this may not be a permanent decision as a number of states are already laying the groundwork to implement Part 2 immediately upon release.

· Sequence of training. It is unclear whether Part 1 will be available prior to graduation (and after core coursework is completed). This is something that CECP, APAGS, and the APA Board of Directors have advocated for, and which ASPPB initially agreed to allow beginning in 2020 with the roll-out of Part 2. What we can say with certainty at this point is that Part 1 will not be able to be taken earlier in any state that does not adopt the Part 2 examination.

· Cost. We have heard no mention of reduction in fees for states that agree to require the Part 2 exam. ASPPB maintains that Part 1 and Part 2 will cost $600 each. We remain concerned about how this may impact the decision to come into the field, as well as the continued difficulties associated with another cost for someone transitioning from student to early career psychologist.

Once again, your representatives at APA are monitoring this recent development and we will pass along any substantial news that we learn in the weeks ahead. You may use this listerv to discuss reactions and ask questions; you can also reach me individually at xxxxxxxxxxx.

Tyson D Bailey, PsyD
Practice Representative, Chair - APA Committee on Early Career Psychologists (CECP)

My conversation with the folks at the ASPPB booth at APA about this differed. Although technically the timeline is still Jan. 2020, one of the individuals involved with the workgroups said that based on where the progress on Step 2 is right now and speculated that 2021/2022 are better targets. They said that the scope of the project was substantially larger than they had anticipated and that they are trying to do it right rather than do it quickly.

They also gave some examples of the types of tasks they will be including, which make me a much larger fan of it than I was before (e.g., performance interpretation competency tasks for various tasks like the WAIS, intentionally not focusing on specific therapy theories, hot click methods to identify ethical issues on business cards/consent forms).

That said, the safest route is to assume that Jan 2020 is when it will launch until they say otherwise

My conversation with the folks at the ASPPB booth at APA about this differed. Although technically the timeline is still Jan. 2020, one of the individuals involved with the workgroups said that based on where the progress on Step 2 is right now and speculated that 2021/2022 are better targets. They said that the scope of the project was substantially larger than they had anticipated and that they are trying to do it right rather than do it quickly.

They also gave some examples of the types of tasks they will be including, which make me a much larger fan of it than I was before (e.g., performance interpretation competency tasks for various tasks like the WAIS, intentionally not focusing on specific therapy theories, hot click methods to identify ethical issues on business cards/consent forms).

That said, the safest route is to assume that Jan 2020 is when it will launch until they say otherwise

As someone who should be on track to take the EPPP in 2021 I can only hope they manage to get it out in 2020 or wait until 2022. I would like to either avoid the new EPPP or be able to at least get one cohort's worth of advice/prep materials. I do think the idea of a clinical portion is a good one but it makes me nervous to consider studying for something with very little information. But someone has to be first and maybe they will be generous on scoring the first year.

If you are finishing internship now, then yes, you should definitely take the EPPP before 2020, regardless of when EPPP2 rolls out. Most people take that before they're done with postdoc.
Does your advice re: taking the EPPP as she’s finishing her internship mean I can take the EPPP before I graduate? I will be in the 4th year of my doctorate program in 2019 so I’ll have completed all the courses it tests on but not every class required. I’d love to take it before the new exam rolls around, if that’s allowed.

Does your advice re: taking the EPPP as she’s finishing her internship mean I can take the EPPP before I graduate? I will be in the 4th year of my doctorate program in 2019 so I’ll have completed all the courses it tests on but not every class required. I’d love to take it before the new exam rolls around, if that’s allowed.

My advice was more directed at that if she is finishing internship now, there would be no reason for her to wait longer than 2 years to take the EPPP. As for your question, you'd have to look into the state that you are applying for licensure in. I know some will allow you to take it while still in grad school. But, many states may require that you actually have degree in hand, and have fully met their educational requirements, before fully processing your application.

Anyone have any recent updates on this? I finish internship in August (and start postdoc two weeks later), and have asked supervisors and searched, but no one really seems to know what is up. Looks like latest information is that it is still being planned on beginning in Jan 2020 per ASPPB's website. I am really interested in minimizing hurdles to licensure. Good states that I may consider applying for licensure to get the exam done and over with ASAP without post-doc hours? I knew some old supervisors did Kansas, but are there other options? Would likely try to get application and material ready ASAP so I could submit it to the appropriate board when my degree is conferred.

Anyone have any recent updates on this? I finish internship in August (and start postdoc two weeks later), and have asked supervisors and searched, but no one really seems to know what is up. Looks like latest information is that it is still being planned on beginning in Jan 2020 per ASPPB's website. I am really interested in minimizing hurdles to licensure. Good states that I may consider applying for licensure to get the exam done and over with ASAP without post-doc hours? I knew some old supervisors did Kansas, but are there other options? Would likely try to get application and material ready ASAP so I could submit it to the appropriate board when my degree is conferred.

You'd likely qualify for licensure in Maryland without postdoc hours (depending on how many clinical hours you completed during your pre-internship and internship years). I think Virginia has similar requirements.

The states that are in-vogue for federal service currently are Wyoming, Virginia, and Washington. Each of these states allow for application immediately following conferral. Bonus: Wyoming only requires 30 CEUs every two years without a mandate for type of CEU.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if New Jersey (NJ) is an "early adoptor" state?

Does anyone know if New Jersey (NJ) is an "early adoptor" state?
I'd recommend reviewing the NJ Board of Psychology website and/or calling them to ask if they're early adopters (or if they have plans to adopt in the near future).