Quantcast

Take Home Salary for Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becool5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello, I am trying to find information on the actual take home salary for surgeons. I know that this sort of thing is difficult to calculate, but I wanted to get a general idea. With all of the problems with malpractice insurance, it seems like some surgeons are not actually netting anywhere near what they should. So if a general surgeon is making $260,000, how much could he/she expect to net? Thank you.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The avg salaries you read on website are avg's after expenses such as malpractice premiums have been paid (ie almost all salary websites post take-home salary). I would guess that the actual amount of "income" that the avg general surgeon generates is probably close to being a little over 1 million (ie the amount insurance co's pay for services), with most of that money going to paying for expenses such as OR expenses, surgical techs and nurses, etc.

rad_one

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just do a Google search for "net income calculators" to derive take home pay from listed gross incomes.

frog4brooke

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the adresses for these websites with salaries?

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any surgeons that manage to live a fairly decent work week (50 hrs) in noncompetitive surgical specialties that still make 200+?

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by neurotrancer
Are there any surgeons that manage to live a fairly decent work week (50 hrs) in noncompetitive surgical specialties that still make 200+?

I have a classmate who told me that his father is a general surgeon for a large HMO hospital, works 8-5 M-F, and makes ~200K.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kalel
I have a classmate who told me that his father is a general surgeon for a large HMO hospital, works 8-5 M-F, and makes ~200K.

he probably takes call too though

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by becool5
Hello, I am trying to find information on the actual take home salary for surgeons. I know that this sort of thing is difficult to calculate, but I wanted to get a general idea. With all of the problems with malpractice insurance, it seems like some surgeons are not actually netting anywhere near what they should. So if a general surgeon is making $260,000, how much could he/she expect to net? Thank you.

I did the calculation for a FP who make $136K/year -> about $7500/month net.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101742

Expect to take home about $12,000-$14,000/month if you're making $260k/year.