becool5

15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello, I am trying to find information on the actual take home salary for surgeons. I know that this sort of thing is difficult to calculate, but I wanted to get a general idea. With all of the problems with malpractice insurance, it seems like some surgeons are not actually netting anywhere near what they should. So if a general surgeon is making $260,000, how much could he/she expect to net? Thank you.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Status (Visible)
The avg salaries you read on website are avg's after expenses such as malpractice premiums have been paid (ie almost all salary websites post take-home salary). I would guess that the actual amount of "income" that the avg general surgeon generates is probably close to being a little over 1 million (ie the amount insurance co's pay for services), with most of that money going to paying for expenses such as OR expenses, surgical techs and nurses, etc.

rad_one

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
Status (Visible)
Just do a Google search for "net income calculators" to derive take home pay from listed gross incomes.

About the Ads

becool5

15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
Are there any surgeons that manage to live a fairly decent work week (50 hrs) in noncompetitive surgical specialties that still make 200+?

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by neurotrancer
Are there any surgeons that manage to live a fairly decent work week (50 hrs) in noncompetitive surgical specialties that still make 200+?

I have a classmate who told me that his father is a general surgeon for a large HMO hospital, works 8-5 M-F, and makes ~200K.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Kalel
I have a classmate who told me that his father is a general surgeon for a large HMO hospital, works 8-5 M-F, and makes ~200K.

he probably takes call too though

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by becool5
Hello, I am trying to find information on the actual take home salary for surgeons. I know that this sort of thing is difficult to calculate, but I wanted to get a general idea. With all of the problems with malpractice insurance, it seems like some surgeons are not actually netting anywhere near what they should. So if a general surgeon is making $260,000, how much could he/she expect to net? Thank you.

I did the calculation for a FP who make $136K/year -> about $7500/month net.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101742

Expect to take home about $12,000-$14,000/month if you're making $260k/year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.