vanillasky123

7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
I'm applying for SMP and Masters Programs for 2014-2015 however, I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I haven't started preparing at all because I originally wanted to take it in the summer of 2014. However, to apply for Masters I need a MCAT score. I won't have much time to prepare for it besides winter break because I have a heavy senior 2nd semester but I was thinking of taking it in April just so I could apply for the masters. I also have a pretty weak science background so I'm concerned about the amount of time I need for preparation. Does it make sense to take the MCAT early even though I won't be best prepared?

Just not sure if it's worth taking a most likely mediocre MCAT score just so I can apply for a SMP. But my gpa needs help so....

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just not sure if it's worth taking a most likely mediocre MCAT score just so I can apply for a SMP.
No, it's not worth it. Mediocre MCAT scores don't go away. The point of this SMP is to improve your chances of getting into med school, and a mediocre or bad MCAT score will do exactly the opposite.

Not all SMPs require MCAT scores, so I would suggest that you keep shopping around. You don't even have to do an SMP. A regular Master's program or a non-degree postbac would both work just as well.

Reactions: DokterMom