Take MCAT in winter or summer for post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sajeunesse

RN -> PreMed
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for advice regarding when I should be taking my MCAT. I am graduating June 2021 with my BScN and have to take post-bac courses after graduation. Most post-bac programs I have come across require MCAT.
- does anyone have examples of generally good cities for postbacc programs too?

My dilemma is I really do not want to waste time in terms of post bac and med school so I want to take the MCAT sooner. I also have the fear my uni extracurriculars will be less recent and therefore less significant if I do the later option. Additionally, I will now be limited to whichever city the hospital I work at is located in if it is later. I can choose post-bac/hospital accordingly if I do it this year. However, I recognize I have a busy course load both semesters and will then not have working RN experience if I do the earlier one. I also believe you shouldn't rush the MCAT.

I can either take the MCAT this winter (Jan/Feb) and apply to post-bacs this year and start September 2021.

• Pros: I will know what hospitals to apply to work at if I apply to post-bac programs at the same time (based on the unviersity location). I can begin post-bac courses ASAP after graduation and apply to med school one year sooner. I have an easier clinical rotation in the fall semester. I have lots of extracurriculars that will be more recent and therefore look better on postbac/med school apps and more recent professor recommendations.\
  • Cons: I am taking a 16-credit course load including Bio II and Org II in the fall and winter semesters, respectively. I will begin working and post-back courses at the same time
Or, I can take the MCAT next summer and apply to post-bacs next year and start September 2022.
  • Pros: I will have the summer free to study after graduation. I'll get a year of working as a RN under my belt.
  • Cons: I will be limited by whatever location the hospital is at that I choose to work in. I will delay post-bac by a year and therefore med school as well. I have a worry that my uni extracurriculars will be less recent and therefore not as "good" for post-bac/med school apps. I may begin new grad work while studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Which programs are you looking at? Requiring the mcat before a postbac is nonsensical as a postbac program is supposed to provide you an opportunity to take the classes you need to excel on the mcat and apply to medical school... being underprepared for the mcat is not a good strategy.

I was looking at BU, Tufts, Harvard, Penn, CUNY, and NYU (the latter two do not have MCAT/GRE requirements, but I'm struggling to find any in NYC).
Which programs are you looking at? Requiring the mcat before a postbac is nonsensical as a postbac program is supposed to provide you an opportunity to take the classes you need to excel on the mcat and apply to medical school... being underprepared for the mcat is not a good strategy.

I've taken all my prereqs except Org II and Bio II (which I understand are important). However, you are right, I don't want to be underprepared for the MCAT, and I want the best chance to succeed at the subject area.
I'm struggling to find post-bacs not requiring the MCAT that are in the northeastern area (where I wish to stay).

I've taken all my prereqs except Org II and Bio II (which I understand are important). However, you are right, I don't want to be underprepared for the MCAT, and I want the best chance to succeed at the subject area.
I'm struggling to find post-bacs not requiring the MCAT that are in the northeastern area (where I wish to stay).
Do you need a structured postbac? Or do you need to enroll somewhere to complete a couple of prereqs?

Reactions: 1 user