Take non science course or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nayahrichard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am recently graduated, but in need of some courses to boost up my cumGPA and BCPM. My BCPM and my cumGPA are just below 3.0. My recent last two years of college were nothing but upper level science courses and i have managed to have a 3.5 GPA in them. I have noticed that I need to raise my BCPM and cumGPC above a 3.0 so I have decided to go back and do some post bacc work for a semester.

My question is, since tuition is so expensive, I was thinking about taking some courses at a community college close by, but they don't offer upper level science courses. Is it alright for me to take some lower level science or non science courses to boost up GPA? Or should I continue taking upper level BIO?

My plan is to raise up both my BCPM and cumGPA so that I can get into an SMP program. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am recently graduated, but in need of some courses to boost up my cumGPA and BCPM. My BCPM and my cumGPA are just below 3.0. My recent last two years of college were nothing but upper level science courses and i have managed to have a 3.5 GPA in them. I have noticed that I need to raise my BCPM and cumGPC above a 3.0 so I have decided to go back and do some post bacc work for a semester.

My question is, since tuition at GSU is so expensive, I was thinking about taking some courses at a community college close by, but they don't offer upper level science courses. Is it alright for me to take some lower level science or non science courses to boost up GPA? Or should I continue taking upper level BIO at GSU?

My plan is to raise up both my BCPM and cumGPA so that I can get into an SMP program. Thanks

I think you should take basic science courses like astronomy to raise your GPA.

even if they aren't upper level? this community college only has like the first two years of courses available. I would be taking sophomore classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the upper level courses at GSU, even if the tuition is expensive. You're already at a disadvantage with your cumulative GPA hovering at 3.0 and it'll be harder to get into an SMP program by taking much easier courses in an attempt to boost the GPA. Continue earning a 3.5+ GPA in those upper level courses and hopefully, you will be accepted into an SMP after 1 additional year.

Adcom members aren't idiots. Taking stupidly easy classes will look ridiculous.

Really? I thought the most important aspect were the actual numbers and the basic trends that they signify.

Its always nice to take a upper level humanity (still easier than hard science). I was sure to add a 3000 (300) level history class or sociology class into my schedule.

Well after one semester I would have a 3.01 and 3.03 for cumGPA and BCPM. Should I do another semester? or Do you think I could go ahead and apply to SMPs. I got a 30. pretty good EC, 400+ hospital volunteer hours, strong work experience, just a year of research in biophysics and molecular lab. thank ya

Last edited: