take or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afatasstank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow student doctor members. I have a question and get ready for it cause here it comes. Should i take the test or wait for the next cycle in 2010? so ive been studying for the august 25 2009 mcat test for the past month and i still have about a month to go. i took all the pre requesites, but my school did a horrible job preparing me for this test, especially in bio. There are many things that i havent even heard of and that im learning for the first time in the review books for the mcat. so anyways i have about a month left and i took a full length and got a 10 9 and 8. i wanna get to around a 40, but verbal is going to be hard to improve in a month and english is also my second language so its like come on. physical science im ok at, but bio will also be really hard to improve at because theres so much info to know! if i decide to cancel my mcat test i need to do it 14 days before the test so id have to do it in like 10 days from now. so i really have to decide whether to take it in august 25 (cant in september cause i have classes) or wait for 2010? and also i cant find a calender with dates for the 2010 tests. Sorry for the long message, Thanks for reading! Oh and also im a rising junior so i would have time to take it during winter break if its offered at that time, and i would be studying throughout the semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
im not sure about refund policies, but if $ isnt an issue you can wait until day of test and just not show up, or take and void for the experience.
outside of that, i would definitely say wait for next cycle if you want a 40, if you want a 30-33 take it this cycle
also, bio isn't meant to cover a lot of the mcat info, physiology/biochem will cover 99% of it tho

Hello, fellow student doctor members. I have a question and get ready for it cause here it comes. Should i take the test or wait for the next cycle in 2010? so ive been studying for the august 25 2009 mcat test for the past month and i still have about a month to go. i took all the pre requesites, but my school did a horrible job preparing me for this test, especially in bio. There are many things that i havent even heard of and that im learning for the first time in the review books for the mcat. so anyways i have about a month left and i took a full length and got a 10 9 and 8. i wanna get to around a 40, but verbal is going to be hard to improve in a month and english is also my second language so its like come on. physical science im ok at, but bio will also be really hard to improve at because theres so much info to know! if i decide to cancel my mcat test i need to do it 14 days before the test so id have to do it in like 10 days from now. so i really have to decide whether to take it in august 25 (cant in september cause i have classes) or wait for 2010? and also i cant find a calender with dates for the 2010 tests. Sorry for the long message, Thanks for reading! Oh and also im a rising junior so i would have time to take it during winter break if its offered at that time, and i would be studying throughout the semester.
If I were you, I would take it. You were doing fine in PS. You Bio scores are average. I would recommend that you take 1 bio section test every day and then take it up the next day. Also, if you think you are weak in certain areas, if they are molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology but not physiology, you can also review the lectures in Bio 1A by Berkely. They go into massive amounts of details. Bio is best learned by practice. The prep books (almost all of them) over prepare you for this section by incredible amounts of details. Just practice and learn whats important. You will see that for example for Kidney's you will need to know like 5-6 things, and they keep coming up in different ways. Same for the CNS and PNS. Master of these few topics can only be attained via practice.

As for VR you are getting a 9, which is quite good. VR in my opinion is a hit-and-miss for most people in that range. So if you are getting 9s, you never know, you might get the VR and able to break 10. You are already good at PS, so you will end up getting 10 as well. Bio is only left.

If money is not an issue take it. Worst scenario, you void it. But you will learn a lot from the experience and you will be far better prepared for the next test.