Take PI's offer of phone call to medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LisaBrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I met with my PI today. I told him I am on several waitlists. He said he would be happy to call the Dean of my top choice medical school.

The thing is, my top choice medical school has a ranked waitlist and my second choice medical school has an unranked waitlist.

Should I take my PI's offer? I'm guessing that his call will help at the unranked waitlist school. But do you think his call will help at the ranked waitlist school or would his call bother the Dean?

He has told me that he has made a phone call for another student before with successful outcome, but I'm not sure if the other student was on a ranked or unranked waitlist.

Should I call the medical school to ask if phone calls are accepted or is this unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad.

i mean it can only help, especially if your PI is well known. However im not on an adcom committee so i can't say for sure, but if I were your shoes I would def have my PI call...

Should I ask him to call my top choice ranked waitlist medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it can't hurt, I'll definitely accept his offer, but are phone calls to Deans normal in the admissions process?

He can call anyone he wants, but unless he knows them or has some personal connection to them, it has little effect. Explain the ranked list situation and ask his counsel. They love that.
Depends. If someone is well known in the field, they may be good to keep around as a friend. I would take what he or she says into consideration.

Depends. If someone is well known in the field, they may be good to keep around as a friend. I would take what he or she says into consideration.
I agree! Having friends is always good. Asking for counsel, also good.

It's just that "famous" PI's are often only well recognized at their home institutions, so the effect of their endorsement fades considerably as their circle of influence does.

Reactions: 1 user

" in the field"... Like medicine?

I think if your PI is known in the field of medical oncology yet the dean of admissions is a pediatrician they'd just think of your PI as any other doc.

My PI emailed the admissions office with his vote of confidence after I was waitlisted and I ended up being accepted. It can't hurt, so let him do it! He sounds like a caring person. Good luck!

I agree! Having friends is always good. Asking for counsel, also good.

It's just that "famous" PI's are often only well recognized at their home institutions, so the effect of their endorsement fades considerably as their circle of influence does.

Don't mean to hijack, but I am in a similar situation and could use some advice.

I am on a single unranked waitlist. My PI is friendly with the Dean and has offered to make a phone call on my behalf. However, my PI is also the one who got me the interview in the first place. Would having him call once more be pushing my luck? He offered to do so, but it feels kind of weird having him call twice.

On the other hand, though, this is my ONLY shot at med school this cycle...

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

-Bill

Don't mean to hijack, but I am in a similar situation and could use some advice.

I am on a single unranked waitlist. My PI is friendly with the Dean and has offered to make a phone call on my behalf. However, my PI is also the one who got me the interview in the first place. Would having him call once more be pushing my luck? He offered to do so, but it feels kind of weird having him call twice.

-Bill

You need one word of wisdom.

youwouldbecrazytonothaveyourPIcall.

Reactions: 2 users

-Bill

soundsreallycronybutgottadowhatyougottadoiguess

Reactions: 2 users
I am on a single unranked waitlist. My PI is friendly with the Dean and has offered to make a phone call on my behalf.
-Bill
PI's can be helpful in their own school or where they have personal connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it could ever hurt. I say go for it, as long as they offered.

PI's can be helpful in their own school or where they have personal connections!

-Bill
I had a friend get into USC because his dad (a physician) is buddies with a faculty member at UCSF who called USC's adcom to put in a good word. Even though the UCSF doc couldn't pull strings at his home institution, his word was well regarded elsewhere! Utilize your connections, especially if its your only chance!

Always keep in mind that association is not causation. You don't know if the call made the difference or if you would have gotten off the waitlist without the call. You just don't know. That said, I doubt those calls ever hurt although they could be annoying to a Dean of Admissions who may be inundated even though the number of folks who can come off the waitlist may be very, very small.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm friends with Ellen Degeneres. I can get her to call on your behalf if the Dean of your top choice watches Ellen.

OP, if your PI thinks that his call could help at your unranked school its worth a shot. I have definitely been the beneficiary of lab nepotism this application cycle. My PI is pretty experienced (read over 70) and a few of his former students are now well placed in academic medicine. He has made a few calls on my behalf which may have made the difference in me getting some interviews, though there is no way to know for sure :rolleyes:. The way I see it is you've worked hard in their lab for years to do excellent research and make a good impression. You should absolutely use your PI's ability to advocate for your qualities with their personal testimony.

Thank you very much! It sounds like the consensus is that I should give my PI the go-ahead to reach out to the Dean.

I do feel a bit uncomfortable using connections. That said, considering the fact that I am holding zero acceptances, it would probably be a huge mistake not to accept a helping hand from someone who's willing to vouch for me.

-Bill

If it can't hurt, I'll definitely accept his offer, but are phone calls to Deans normal in the admissions process?
They are uncommon to the dean of the medical school, but do occur to the admissions dean. That doesn't mean they necessarily influence the outcome. There is a committee, after all.

" in the field"... Like medicine?

I think if your PI is known in the field of medical oncology yet the dean of admissions is a pediatrician they'd just think of your PI as any other doc.
That's the pre-med way of thinking. We make up lines in science to focus, but the reality is that a lot of research has implications in other fields. For example, I was working in a project about itch. The mice have a certain gene knocked out. Going through the literature I saw the same gene has been studied for its effects on sexual function. What if my mice are not reproducing? Did they have this problem? How did they solve it? Well, a given peptide may have a receptor I want to know about. Maybe that lab has a transgenic mouse that I could use for that purpose. Do you think it is easy to convince this person to send me some of his mice if I don't know him/her? There are multiple other scenarios that can come up.

The collegiality of Science has nothing to do with the ability to influence an Admissions Dean, or an AdCom. I've seen LORs from Nobel laureates and US Senators, but they had no effect upon my decision.

That's the pre-med way of thinking. We make up lines in science to focus, but the reality is that a lot of research has implications in other fields. For example, I was working in a project about itch. The mice have a certain gene knocked out. Going through the literature I saw the same gene has been studied for its effects on sexual function. What if my mice are not reproducing? Did they have this problem? How did they solve it? Well, a given peptide may have a receptor I want to know about. Maybe that lab has a transgenic mouse that I could use for that purpose. Do you think it is easy to convince this person to send me some of his mice if I don't know him/her? There are multiple other scenarios that can come up.

The collegiality of Science has nothing to do with the ability to influence an Admissions Dean, or an AdCom. I've seen LORs from Nobel laureates and US Senators, but they had no effect upon my decision.
So you don't think that a student that worked and gained the respect of a Nobel Laureate says nothing to their ability to perform with top of the line professionals?

So you don't think that a student that worked and gained the respect of a Nobel Laureate says nothing to their ability to perform with top of the line professionals?
What about the VPOTUS?

How does one get a LOR from a senator...?

An applicant can "walk on water" but if said applicant is waitlisted there is nothing that can be done unless there is a slot to be filled. And sometimes there's no slot. :( It doesn't mean that the applicant's excellence is in doubt but that there were 100 other candidates that were judged to be better, or a better fit for that school.

Why one asks "Senator X, can you write me a LOR?"

Sorry, you set yourself up for that one!

How does one get a LOR from a senator...?

A Nobel laurate isn't going to deal with a UG student...his/her post-docs or grad students are. But being a good team member means nothing if you can't survive a medical school curriculum.

THAT would get my attention!

What about the VPOTUS?

I had a friend get into USC because his dad (a physician) is buddies with a faculty member at UCSF who called USC's adcom to put in a good word. Even though the UCSF doc couldn't pull strings at his home institution, his word was well regarded elsewhere! Utilize your connections, especially if its your only chance!
Having a deep familiarity with both these fine institutions, I would be very surprised if this call made a whit of difference. Your friend deserves independent credit for this admission.

Having a deep familiarity with both these fine institutions, I would be very surprised if this call made a whit of difference. Your friend deserves independent credit for this admission.
I agree, but it was his claim, not mine.

100% concur with my learned colleague. Legacy type connections like this are good for landing interviews, but are worthless for acceptances, unless there's a large donation check in hand.

Hell no, don't take him up on this.

Hi everyone,

I met with my PI today. I told him I am on several waitlists. He said he would be happy to call the Dean of my top choice medical school.

The thing is, my top choice medical school has a ranked waitlist and my second choice medical school has an unranked waitlist.

Should I take my PI's offer? I'm guessing that his call will help at the unranked waitlist school. But do you think his call will help at the ranked waitlist school or would his call bother the Dean?

He has told me that he has made a phone call for another student before with successful outcome, but I'm not sure if the other student was on a ranked or unranked waitlist.

Should I call the medical school to ask if phone calls are accepted or is this unnecessary?

It starts with two taps of the right foot under the bathroom stall...

What is this, 2005? It starts with sexting and tighty whitey twitter pics bro.

Reactions: 1 users