take step3 before starting PGY-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompaAPD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. So i matched anesthesia and will be starting PGY-1 year in july. Im kinda bored with nothing to do, so i was considering getting step3 out of the way while i have time. Good/bad idea? Does the score actually matter for anything, or do i just need to pass?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All you have to do is pass

Taking it now might be a bit of a trick as you register for Step III directly through state medical boards, not the USMLE like I & II. Most states require you to finish your internship. Some (Florida, I think, at least in the pass) will let med students take it and you need not live/work/etc in Florida to register with them.

Is that true about having to complete internship before sitting for Step III? My CA-1 program says we're not allowed to step foot into the OR unless we've passed Step III, and well, it would be impossible if you're only opportunity was AFTER having completed internship. I mean, its only a matter of one day: June 30 to July 1st.

All you have to do is pass

Taking it now might be a bit of a trick as you register for Step III directly through state medical boards, not the USMLE like I & II. Most states require you to finish your internship. Some (Florida, I think, at least in the pass) will let med students take it and you need not live/work/etc in Florida to register with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
certain states do have the requirement that you finish your internship BEFORE sitting for Step 3. HOWEVER, just get another state to sponsor you. See, you can get ANY State to sponsor you for Step 3, as long as you have graduated from Med school. Many states have no time requirement once you have graduated.

So to summarize, get a different state to sponsor you, then take Step 3 at ANY prometric testing center, regardless of what state sponsored you.

It will not make a difference for your licensure. It's an antiquated system with many relics of regulations. Just take the stupid test during your internship, it will only get harder as you progress through your anesthesia training.

certain states do have the requirement that you finish your internship BEFORE sitting for Step 3. HOWEVER, just get another state to sponsor you. See, you can get ANY State to sponsor you for Step 3, as long as you have graduated from Med school. Many states have no time requirement once you have graduated.

So to summarize, get a different state to sponsor you, then take Step 3 at ANY prometric testing center, regardless of what state sponsored you.

It will not make a difference for your licensure. It's an antiquated system with many relics of regulations. Just take the stupid test during your internship, it will only get harder as you progress through your anesthesia training.

I agree with Surfer. You only need to have graduated medical school. I applied via Connecticut. I was going to take it at the end of June 2004 (I finished in April 2004), but found out it was going to interfere with PGY-1 Orientation. So I took it in the beginning of September 2004. I'm glad I got it out of the way. I recommend to everyone to take it as soon as possible.

All you have to do is pass. Ironically I did the best on Step 3.

check with your residency program...i had the same thoughts...get it out of the way...until I saw that my program wouldn't let us take it until after 8 months of intern year.

i would recommend not taking it your CA-3 year... I got into that problem.. August of my Ca-3 year.... studied, took it, got a 230 and was pissed at myself because i only wanted/needed to pass.. means I studied too much... that all being said, there was still a resident who hadnt taken it yet in my class... and yes we were supposed to take it by our CA-1 year.. some people (me) fell through the cracks... I was busy with a wedding etc during my PGy1 year and just didnt get around to it... my PD was supportive though... she said I could yell at you now but that wouldnt accomplish anything... just pass it and get it done with..

How about Texas? Anybody know their reqs for taking Step 3?

How about Texas? Anybody know their reqs for taking Step 3?
who cares about texas? register for a state that doesn't give a hoot. california comes to mind. there are others. it does NOT matter where you take it, or where you do your residency. Just register, take it, and be done.

Take it as soon as possible so you can moonlight at your program it is allowed. I made the mistake of procrastinating.

who cares about texas? register for a state that doesn't give a hoot. california comes to mind. there are others. it does NOT matter where you take it, or where you do your residency. Just register, take it, and be done.

I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking if anyone knew what the Texas requirements were, but the last poster nailed it. Thanks.