1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Take supplements on the MCAT to focus?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Brandon81081, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anybody have any other "herbal" suggestions or "natural" styles that promote focus?.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TauPathology

TauPathology Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    waiting for someone to bite are you?

4. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i personally do not like throwing things into my body that i dont need. If you think it will help you though then go for it. I definately wouldnt do it for the first time on the real deal without trying it at first. I also like taking satisfaction in knowing i accomplished something on my own without the use of drugs.

5. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Dude. F*** Adderall.

Use Heroin.

6. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I love how the OP used the term "supplements" lol

Adderall is banned in Canada.

7. supernova33418

supernova33418 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    ritalin works well to keep you awake like caffine but its effect lasts longer and you cannot fall asleep .at least that was my experience. if you're looking for something herbal try Mentat available OTC at most pharmacies

8. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks i will try Mentat. Im not sure about the ritalin

9. specialflava

specialflava Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    does anyone know how mentat stacks up compared to caffeine? i ask because i'm starting to develop a tolerance to caffeine, and i'm a horrible sleeper, so i anticipate only being able to sleep a couple of hours the night before the test. also, any adverse side effects to these herbal supplements?

10. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yes, Supernova. tell us more about Mentat

11. doyourealize1

doyourealize1 Member
    2+ Year Member

There's a "natural" remedy that'll cure any MCAT woe that you have that not a lot of people look into...

It's called sleep. Get enough sleep and you'll do a lot better. The only 9 I've scored on EK 101 Verbal was when I was sleep deprived. I score 11-12 and sometimes 13 at all other times.

12. mcat_study

mcat_study eukaryote
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i wish there was such supplement that would come out of the brain during MCAT and tell the correct answer.

trust me i googled for such, couldn;t find it :idea:

sorry--->just too tired right now :scared:
    [/B]

13. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ginkgo biloba has been shown to improve concentration and working memory in acute doses. Pop some before a practice test and see if you notice an improvement.

14. harrypotter

10+ Year Member

Blueberries help improve verbal memory, or so my teacher tells me. That's natural!

I second sleep!! I'd much rather go into a test knowing less but feeling rested than having crammed all night long and going in as a zombie. Don't underestimate sleep.

15. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah sleep is the first thing. i notice a good night's sleep and a quick jog in the morning and im primed for the day. when i trick myself into thinking i cant afford to sleep my performance drops like 1/(x^2)

i'll attest to ginkgo biloba. i definitely notice a 'kick' in focus from it. also, there was about a week where i made the mistake of taking it before bed - and would kick awake right as i was falling asleep.

a friend of mine was diagnosed w/ add but refused to take meds for it - he suggested adding st johns wort to the ginkgo - i did but i havent noticed a difference.

waters good too - 'cept it makes you have to pee

16. Foolins

Foolins Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    The most natural aid i use to focus is going around alot these days.

It's called fear. It explains why people stay up 18 hours before an exam cramming. Even people who usually claim they have ADD.

But sometimes the fear gets you so riled up, that you only focus on the fear. So i'd say, the key is to harness your fear, while at the same time coming to terms with the fact that it's most likely you won't do well on this test, and you'll smoke it next time. There's no greater state of heightened concentration when you drape your fear about yourself like a warm blanket, and lean over the exam..bubbling answers "just in case"

17. kaml20

kaml20 Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

two magical things: caffiene and effedrine
    effedrine to open up the bronchioles and caffiene to vasoconstrict the blood.
    more oxygen being delivered faster to your brain will allow you to concentrate and 'slow down time'*

individual results may vary*

dont worry thier both "natural" substances, they just havent been found in nature yet...

18. quarterhorsecol

5+ Year Member

I second the above combo.

19. akinf

akinf Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mountain Dew...works like a charm baby...take a swig before you write...and you'll be good to go...i find it helps most for BS when you are so drained....

20. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Try fish oil capsules. I took about 3-4 per MCAT full length and it seemed to work. I kept nice concentration and never fatigued throughout each practice, nor on the real thing.

21. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah fish oils good stuff. you should be taking it if yorue studying or not

22. Kaysee

Kaysee Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a question for those who take ginkgo...I was wondering what concentration the capsules you took and how many milligrams were in you dosage. Thanks~

23. gdawg102

gdawg102 Guest
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been taking Vitamin B Complex, and triple the recommended dose of Pantothenic Acid. It is suppose to give you more energy and focus, and so far it has worked for me pretty well.

Also Kava kava tea (One tea bag amount) seems to help in dealing with the stress when mixed with coffee.

And a little melatonin at night to maintain cyclic sleep.