Take the job an hour away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lancecorpsman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working at a hospital that is literally right next to my school as a Monitor Tech in the ICU. I just got a job offer as an ER Tech II (I have my AEMT) at a hospital that is located approximately an hour and a half away. I was just curious if it was worth it experience/time/money wise to take that job and commute.
Also I wanted to know what kind of work schedule is doable for pre-meds. I worked full time nights for two months last school year and I have to say that it was the worst 2 months of my life.
So should I take the job?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the relative pay scales? It seems silly to take a job that requires 3 h of commute time per shift when you already have a job (if both offer similar pay/benefits). Those three hours are better spent studying, volunteering, etc. - as long as you don't hate your current job.

What are the relative pay scales? It seems silly to take a job that requires 3 h of commute time per shift when you already have a job (if both offer similar pay/benefits). Those three hours are better spent studying, volunteering, etc. - as long as you don't hate your current job.

I make around 18/h at my current job working nights. The ER job should pay starts at 15/h, so not a huge pay cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
I make around 18/h at my current job working nights. The ER job should pay starts at 15/h, so not a huge pay cut.

Oh, your current job is full-time on nights? I didn't realize that. Night shifts can wreak havoc on schoolwork and your sleep schedule. Some people can handle it but it sounds like you don't like night shift at all.

@lancecorpsman The answer to your question depends on your answer to this question, are you a masochist?

@aldol16 If I'm not mistaken, status quo on technician jobs is to take certain amounts of overnight shifts during the month. However, they should also offer day shifts if that's what you prefer unless for some reason the hospital is super saturated and tech spots in the area are super competitive which is usually not the case.

Oh, your current job is full-time on nights? I didn't realize that. Night shifts can wreak havoc on schoolwork and your sleep schedule. Some people can handle it but it sounds like you don't like night shift at all.

I did work fulltime nights because of school, but after a few months of it I just couldnt handle it so I switched to part time/on call.

@lancecorpsman Pay cut + 3 hours of commuting for a change of scenery. Plus factor in loss of income for job transitioning. It's a stupid decision unless you really want to see how the ER runs, but honestly the price you pay is needlessly high and not pragmatically worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
@lancecorpsman The answer to your question depends on your answer to this question, are you a masochist?

@aldol16 If I'm not mistaken, status quo on technician jobs is to take certain amounts of overnight shifts during the month. However, they should also offer day shifts if that's what you prefer unless for some reason the hospital is super saturated and tech spots in the area are super competitive which is usually not the case.

Day shift is impossible for me to do, I have classes everyday and I also have classes on Saturdays. I'm also in the reserves so I have drill weekends.

To answer your question if I'm a masochist or not.... Lets just say that I love to sleep, and depriving my self of that is pure torture. lol

I did work fulltime nights because of school, but after a few months of it I just couldnt handle it so I switched to part time/on call.

So would you be working more hours if you commuted to the other job? If you're not working nights anymore and are getting sufficient hours, then why change? If you're not happy for another reason, then that's another story. Can you see if there are any ER tech jobs in your hospital now? So that you could simply change departments instead of hospitals?

Just saw your new post - if you are already short on time, do you think that you could even make the commute for the other shift? It's not like you can read textbooks as you're driving.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the commute doable by train or bus? If you could turn that commute into study/work time, that'd seal the deal for me. Otherwise, a three hour commute daily is brutal. I had a job in an OR for six years where I commuted two hours each day, and that was horrible. Got into a car accident because I was so exhausted (very minor, no injuries, no damage to the other vehicle--just the thought that it could have been way worse was enough).

Edit: schools and (most) employers get it. I had to take an LOA from school due to my military schedule, and they worked with me no problem. My buddy transitioned into the reserves, and his job is very flexible.

@lancecorpsman Don't take the ER job. The technician change in scope of practice is not worth it when you already have such a full plate.

Is the commute doable by train or bus? If you could turn that commute into study/work time, that'd seal the deal for me. Otherwise, a three hour commute daily is brutal. I had a job in an OR for six years where I commuted two hours each day, and that was horrible. Got into a car accident because I was so exhausted (very minor, no injuries, no damage to the other vehicle--just the thought that it could have been way worse was enough).

Unfortunately only option is by POV. And even better, the route requires me to drive over a pass thats about 6000ft, so the winter driving will be brutal.

@lancecorpsman Do you need the $$$. Sounds like per diem would really give you the 6+ hours of sleep I am suspecting you are not getting.

@Sardinia I unfortunately have expensive hobbies, car, rent, and other bills. Right now I am getting better amounts of sleep, besides being woken up at 2am to be on the bandaid bus taking frequent flyers to the ER.

None of what you mentioned above sounds appealing. My opinion is don't take the job. You don't need to be an ER tech for med school. Will it give you some experience? Sure. But will it be worth it? Not really. Will it make a huge difference to med schools? Not really. Take that time to shadow and get a great lor from a physician. Or volunteer at the hospital (maybe in the ER if that's what you're in to). That is way better than that horrible commute (especially in the winter) and a pay cut!

Unfortunately only option is by POV. And even better, the route requires me to drive over a pass thats about 6000ft, so the winter driving will be brutal.
It sounds as if you have already identified a series of legitimate reasons *why* you do not want to accept employment as an ER Tech II at a hospital that will require a 3-hour roundtrip commute (or longer, depending on weather). Does your list of "negative" reasons outweigh your list of "positive" reasons? If yes, you should probably remain at your current employment (until and unless) you secure a better job offer nearby, with a competitive/comparable pay scale, hours, benefits, etc.

Thank you for your service, too!