Take the MCAT sooner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMMTB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a little bit of a toss up as far as when to take the MCAT and could greatly use some advice/other viewpoints. I'm currently signed up for the MCAT for Jan. 2015 but have thought about taking it instead in late August. So I know it would seem crazy to switch to a drastically earlier time but this is my thought process...

I'm taking a decent load for fall semester (Biochem, behavioral neuroscience, advanced phys, and a couple other classes) and pretty light load for summer (a humanities GE class). It would be nice to get the MCAT done early so I can focus on Fall classes, but also if I don't get a great score in August I can still retake it in Jan. Whereas if I don't get the score I want in Jan. I'd need to start studying for a new MCAT as well as take Psych, and sociology.

I started to study with the SN2 method in May and am a little less than half way done with the content review. I'm finding that I'm pretty weak in physiology (71%) as I have never taken it before, verbal is slowly improving and everything else is not bad (85% Physics, 85% GChem, 91% OChem - scores based on TBR passages).

I obviously would only like to take the MCAT once but am weary of putting all my eggs in one basket with taking it in Jan.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

So I looked up testing center availabilities in my area and the August test is already pretty full, but Beginning of September is open. I'd only be a week into the fall semester and this would give me near two weeks more to be ready. I did take AAMC 3 back in March without starting content review, but was about 5-8 points below my target range. Verbal was my lowest by far and doing EK 101 my verbal is only up 1 point (on their tests). Tried TPRH and I get like half of the questions wrong.