Take the MCAT third time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koala37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ok so I took the MCAT twice got a 22Q first time (9 in sciences, 4 in verbal), 24O the second time (6 VR, 8 BS, 10 PS). I am debating whether I should study hard for a solid 3.5 months and take it a 3rd time. My GPA is on Par for M.D. schools (3.7 Cum, 3.75 Science), buts in my mcat speicfically verbal that is killing me. If i retake it, what minimum score would I need to obtain to have a solid chance at an md school with my GPA? I am looking into D.O., an dI knwo I knwo both are equally as good, but I feel as if one has more options with M.D. in terms of specializing and international practice rights, My extracurriculars r good, i am coauthored for a paper, have outstanding premed commitee recs, its my mcat score that is giving me a hard time

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds vaugly familiar... My GPA is basically identical to yours and the first time I toook the MCAT I got a 25. (I know that is higher than you got but not by much). I spent a solid 3 months studying to the MCAT (pretty much that is all I was able to do) and got a 31.

To have a shot at MD programs I think you want to try and get 30+ (it isn't essential if you have alot of other things (or a state school)) But in the very least you want to be near a 30. I would say 27 is your low. (but that really limits your application)

To study for the MCAT I purchased all the practice MCAT's availible from the AAMC and then spent a week stydying a Saturday taking and reviewing it (with conditions) and then spending the next week studying to improve for the next time around.

But if you think you can improve than I deffinitly recommend studying for 3.5 months and taking it again.

You really don't have a choice; your stated preference is MD-only, so you must retake the MCAT. The median score for accepted students gets higher every year, in the 31-32 range right now. Your EC's are good, not great, and your grades are at the median for accepted students. Of course the answer to your posed question is to do as good as you possibly can; why would you do anything less? If you are capable of scoring 32, why would you score a 30? Just do your best and see where the cards fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds vaugly familiar... My GPA is basically identical to yours and the first time I toook the MCAT I got a 25. (I know that is higher than you got but not by much). I spent a solid 3 months studying to the MCAT (pretty much that is all I was able to do) and got a 31.

To have a shot at MD programs I think you want to try and get 30+ (it isn't essential if you have alot of other things (or a state school)) But in the very least you want to be near a 30. I would say 27 is your low. (but that really limits your application)

To study for the MCAT I purchased all the practice MCAT's availible from the AAMC and then spent a week stydying a Saturday taking and reviewing it (with conditions) and then spending the next week studying to improve for the next time around.

But if you think you can improve than I deffinitly recommend studying for 3.5 months and taking it again.

The problem is I have already taken all the AAMC exams, all the princeton review exams, Kaplan full lengths 1-5. BUT, i havent done much of the examkrackers verbal 101 passages book. is it fruitful to go back and retake the aamc tests again? I have already taken both Princeton and Kaplan classes. I even had a Kaplan Private tutorm for my verbal, n still only got a 24. its such a shame. I started out very low on my diagnostic like a 19.

Koala, I remember you posting on the 1/29 MCAT thread. I'm sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped for this past Jan. MCAT. However, your persistence and dedication is admirable. I would suggest aiming for a 27+ this time around, and do not limit yourself to MD programs if you truly want to be a physician.

The problem is I have already taken all the AAMC exams, all the princeton review exams, Kaplan full lengths 1-5. BUT, i havent done much of the examkrackers verbal 101 passages book. is it fruitful to go back and retake the aamc tests again? I have already taken both Princeton and Kaplan classes. I even had a Kaplan Private tutorm for my verbal, n still only got a 24. its such a shame. I started out very low on my diagnostic like a 19.

If you need more CBT's, order TBR's right now. They're very good from what I've read here.

If you want meh CBT's for practice, get Gold Standard's from ebay. I bought 10 for 61 bucks. I'm only using them for practice, but I'm not sure that I'm going to even do that anymore since I bought ALL the EK 1001/101 books.

If you need more CBT's, order TBR's right now. They're very good from what I've read here.

If you want meh CBT's for practice, get Gold Standard's from ebay. I bought 10 for 61 bucks. I'm only using them for practice, but I'm not sure that I'm going to even do that anymore since I bought ALL the EK 1001/101 books.

I am sorry, TBR? what does it stand for, never heard of those tests.....I think I am gonna buy the examkrackers 1001 questions for bio and chem as well cuz even though verbal is killing me, my sciences are not that high either. I think i will see how i am performing on practice tests. If i can bring my socre to the a 28+, I think my chances go up dramatically of getting accepted into an allopathic school....n this is what I want. I know D.O. is the same, but an M.D is an M.D. It seems like in the community today a lot of people still dont know what a D.O. is

Btw, I was looking on Howard University site, they say a 3.0 science gpa is competitive and a 22 or above is as well. I think I am gonna also apply with these two scores to certain schools n see what happens. I am sure people get accepted with 24, 25, 26s....but its probbably rare, but i guess you never know till you try even though chances seem very slim

also, i actually havent studied a solid 3-4 months the two times i have taken it. the first time i took it i studied from may to only July (first attempt: July 16th, 2010)..then this second attempt I only studied for a month over winter break (Dec 21st-Jan 29th) and that too my sem started on the 18th. I dunno of anyone who started out so low, n then ended up with a 30 at the end tho. I just hope I am not thinking the impossible

Hey everyone,
I am a frequent surfer of SDN, but I haven't decided to post anything until now. I have read all of the forums about taking the MCAT a third time, but I feel like my situation is a bit different.

I have already applied for the entering class of 2012. I have obviously taken the MCAT twice. My first score was a 25N (9PS, 6V, 10BS) which I was very disappointed about. I had studied with Kaplan, but honestly I didn't stick to the study plan very well, and my score suffered. In order to salvage my chances to apply this round, I studied very hard for three weeks and took the MCAT a second time. I got a 27P (7PS, 9V, 11BS). Again, I was disappointed, but I applied and ended up submitting 15 secondaries. I should also say that I have excellent EC's and experience, and I have a 3.75 GPA with a 3.7 something science GPA. I was invited to interview at University of Missouri (instate), University of Arkansas, and University of Kansas. All three of these were late interviews (December, January, and February). I got denied at UAMS, so I am beginning to think about the next cycle. In particular, taking the MCAT a third time within the next 3 or 4 months. I know that I still need to hear back from two schools, but I won't hear until mid-March for Mizzou and mid-March to early April for KU... I would need to apply in about 4 months for the next cycle if I get denied at the other two schools. I just want to prepare for the worst in case it happens.

My question is should I retake the MCAT? It would be fruitless to apply again without tangible evidence of improvement. However, I also have an opportunity to do research at a highly acclaimed school (if I don't get in this cycle). Should I just focus on the research and forget about the MCAT? My fear is that no matter what I do to strengthen my application, my MCAT will still detract from it.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,
I am a frequent surfer of SDN, but I haven't decided to post anything until now. I have read all of the forums about taking the MCAT a third time, but I feel like my situation is a bit different.

I have already applied for the entering class of 2012. I have obviously taken the MCAT twice. My first score was a 25N (9PS, 6V, 10BS) which I was very disappointed about. I had studied with Kaplan, but honestly I didn't stick to the study plan very well, and my score suffered. In order to salvage my chances to apply this round, I studied very hard for three weeks and took the MCAT a second time. I got a 27P (7PS, 9V, 11BS). Again, I was disappointed, but I applied and ended up submitting 15 secondaries. I should also say that I have excellent EC's and experience, and I have a 3.75 GPA with a 3.7 something science GPA. I was invited to interview at University of Missouri (instate), University of Arkansas, and University of Kansas. All three of these were late interviews (December, January, and February). I got denied at UAMS, so I am beginning to think about the next cycle. In particular, taking the MCAT a third time within the next 3 or 4 months. I know that I still need to hear back from two schools, but I won't hear until mid-March for Mizzou and mid-March to early April for KU... I would need to apply in about 4 months for the next cycle if I get denied at the other two schools. I just want to prepare for the worst in case it happens.

My question is should I retake the MCAT? It would be fruitless to apply again without tangible evidence of improvement. However, I also have an opportunity to do research at a highly acclaimed school (if I don't get in this cycle). Should I just focus on the research and forget about the MCAT? My fear is that no matter what I do to strengthen my application, my MCAT will still detract from it.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off you should have created your own thread. Secondly I will reply to your post only due to the fact that you unintentionally hijacked the original posters thread. Your MCAT score is substantially below the matriculant average. You're going to have to retake the MCAT and focus on it a lot. You're clearly capable of doing better. With just 3 weeks of studying you went up substantially and I applaud you for that. This time though you're going to have to study at least 2 months. I would suggest you look into TBR for Physical Sciences they do an absolutely amazing job! I promise you with a thorough plan on TBR you could easily hit 11-12 on the PS which would give you a decent MCAT score. I think Examkracker and TBR do a decent job with the VR and BS. You should look into SN2ed's study plan. Here is a link down below:-
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

There are tons of individuals that did absolutely amazing after following Sn2ed's study plan. I wish you the best of luck hopefully you will land an acceptance from one of the two. :thumbup: