Take USMLE Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erdoc123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took both comlex and usmle step 1 last year. I am debating whether or not to take usmle step 2. I made 202 on step 1. I want to do Emergency medicine. Do you guys feel it is worth taking usmle step 2 for the field? Although many programs accept comlex, I feel that since I took step 1, I should go ahead and take 2. I'm just afraid of taking the risk of scoring poorly on the second part. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I took both comlex and usmle step 1 last year. I am debating whether or not to take usmle step 2. I made 202 on step 1. I want to do Emergency medicine. Do you guys feel it is worth taking usmle step 2 for the field? Although many programs accept comlex, I feel that since I took step 1, I should go ahead and take 2. I'm just afraid of taking the risk of scoring poorly on the second part. What do you guys think?

I think it depends on how serious you are about applying to allo residencies, and even if you are going to, there's no absolute necessity to take USLME 2. Having said that, though, I took both steps 1 and 2 and am pretty confident it at least helped me get a few more interviews. Don't be afraid to take the test for fear of a lower score because not doing well on USMLE 2 might prevent some programs from offering you interviews, but those same programs probably wouldn't even look at you if you didn't have a score.

Scope out what part of the country you want to live in & what quality of programs are in that area, and let that help you decide what match to enter.

Just keep in mind that if you apply both ACGME and AOA, the DO match is a good month prior to the allo match, and that's a pickle lots of students find themselves in.

Do yourself a favor and take USMLE 2. A 202 isn't going to do much for you since it is almost 1 SD below the mean. Get USMLEworld and your favorite study guide and bust your rear and you can do well. I would not let $500 determine where, what kind of residency you want. You say you are afraid of doing worse, but you already only have a 202 on step 1.....shoot for 220+ on step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are 4 weeks enough to study for step 2?
I will be on rotation at that time as well.

Also, I contacted alot of programs that I'm interested in and stated they do accept comlex.

Last edited:

Also, I contacted alot of programs that I'm interested in and stated they do accept comlex.

My question to you is why did you take the USMLE Step 1 in the first place?

Did you do any NBME practice tests to guage how well you would do on the real thing?

A 202 ain't going to open any doors (you probably know this already). If you're serious, take USMLE Step II and STUDY YOUR REAR OFF. Doing worse is NOT an option!

FA +/- Secrets + UW will set you up nicely.

G'luck man.

4 weeks of consistent study is more than enough. You don't need more than Crush step 2 and B&W. I just took step 3 with 1 week of 2 hours a day (roughly) of studying.

First aid step 2 isn't as good as step 1.

Crush and Boards and Wards is more than enough and more than you'll be able to read.

Set up your audition rotations early and apply early (have your application complete and waiting for your Dean's letter (or MSPE or whatever the hell they are calling it now) to be released and you'll be final. Get your letters early, like July/August/September. Interview early.

4 weeks of consistent study is more than enough. You don't need more than Crush step 2 and B&W. I just took step 3 with 1 week of 2 hours a day (roughly) of studying.

First aid step 2 isn't as good as step 1.

Crush and Boards and Wards is more than enough and more than you'll be able to read.

Set up your audition rotations early and apply early (have your application complete and waiting for your Dean's letter (or MSPE or whatever the hell they are calling it now) to be released and you'll be final. Get your letters early, like July/August/September. Interview early.

Most people find Crush to be inferior to Secrets -- despite being written by the same author. I echo those feelings.

The newer editions of FA for Step 2 CK are actually better than the older ones. In fact, if you browse the Step 2 forums you will see that many people used it for their boards prep.

B&W is a good book. Can't argue with that one.

More importantly than books is that the OP uses and abuses UW. It's an absolute goldmine. Qbook is also good for extra questions.

Agree with everything else.

Most people find Crush to be inferior to Secrets -- despite being written by the same author. I echo those feelings.

The newer editions of FA for Step 2 CK are actually better than the older ones. In fact, if you browse the Step 2 forums you will see that many people used it for their boards prep.

B&W is a good book. Can't argue with that one.

More importantly than books is that the OP uses and abuses UW. It's an absolute goldmine. Qbook is also good for extra questions.

Agree with everything else.

I think it depends on your style - if you like the question format of Secrets or the just read about the topic format of Crush... choose one and use it.

Well, I'm glad that after 3 years (has it been that long?) they've finally figured FA step 2 out. When I took it, FA was **** smeared all over the pages.

As far as UW/Qbank/whatever the question bank of the week is, I'm not a question person, so I never use them. I find that by the time it comes to taking the test, I'm so tired of questions that I screw it all up.

To each their own. Best of luck to all.

Don't you have to take step I and II before starting residency anyway?