taken from TPR test D science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i found this exam pretty hard.

Q1. Why is CO3(-2) strongly basic in water? ph=11+. shouldnt it be mildly basic, since its the conjugate base of a very weak acid?

Q2. Lets say you neutralize 99.9% of a pH 1 acid solution. what pH are u left with? 0,3,6,7?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't reviewed Acid/Base chemistry, but I thought that if a an acid is weak, this means it wants to hold on to protons (H), So the conjugate base, would want to hold on to protons. This means weak acid--->stronger base, weak base----> stronger acid

As for your second question, it should be about a little less than 7 if you neutralize most of it with a weak base, if you use a string base it would be 7. They are basically asking, "what's the equivalence point"

1) Conjugate base of a weak acid is a very strong base. Also true vice versa HCl very strong acid , Cl- very weak base.

2) 3

Q1. Why is CO3(-2) strongly basic in water? ph=11+. shouldnt it be mildly basic, since its the conjugate base of a very weak acid?

HCO3- <--> H+ CO3(-2)

HCO3- is a mildly weak acid. CO3(-2) should be a mildly weak base.

HCl is a strong acid. conjugate base is a VERY weak base (negligible).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't question #2 be ph = 7 since it says "neutralize" and a neutral pH IS 7???? Just wondering...not answering

pH 1 means... [H+] = 1 x 10 ^-1

so 0.1 % of [H+] remains which equals ((0.1/100) x 1 x 10^-1)

= 1 x 10^-4 ==> pH ~ 4

4 is close to 3.

on the mcat...they will not give exact answer in the choices. So, Kaplan advises that one should just make an approximation.

Originally posted by jhk43

HCO3- <--> H+ CO3(-2)

HCO3- is a mildly weak acid. CO3(-2) should be a mildly weak base.

HCl is a strong acid. conjugate base is a VERY weak base (negligible).

CO3(-2) <-> HCO3- +H3O+<->H2CO3 +H2O <-> H2O+CO2

:)