Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Taken Initiative or Exhibited Leadership

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medical22, Sep 15, 2001.

1. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

There is a question on Mount Sinai's secondary application that states "Describe a way in which you've taken initiative or exhibited leadership." I would like to know how you guys answered this. I'm not sure what to write about. Here's something I might use. Please tell me your opinion on this.
    I created a webpage for a club (Honors Club)in our college. On that site, I put up the names of all the students in the club with their e-mail addresses, the club's goals, a discussion board, announcements, etc. It was quite successful and kept everyone up to date on events. But now our college has made a new web system that all clubs are using so the site I had created is no longer being used. However, I am working on making the web system a useful tool for the club.

Please tell me if this is a good example. Thanks!

And if you guys have filled out the application already, please tell me how long your essay was. Did you use extra space than provided? There is room for only about a para.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

what do you think? should I use that example?

4. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I would use it. It shows that you're organized and can take the reins of a project that you are responsible for. Drum it up a little, and I think you've got a good example. I would leave out the part about it no longer being used though.

Andrew

5. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member

yeah, i agree, no reason to say that it is not used anymore. It was used for some time, right and thats what you created it for.

6. Resident Alien

I talked about my activity as a Senator at the Student Government Org. at my univ. and focused on an issue i was part of (teacher course evaluations). I hoped this is what they were asking for :p

7. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I think they're looking for any bit of leadership you may have shown. They want people who show they can lead and not just sit back and follow. So, anything you've headed started or took the initiative on is a good example of showing you have the the leadership qualities needed to be a doctor.

Andrew