Taking 2 Independent Research Courses in 1 Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over the summer I did a research project for Bio Independent Research credit. In order to avoid paying tuition for a summer course, my school lists the research course under my Fall semester schedule so it looks like I'm taking it in the Fall.

This Fall I am doing psychopharm research that I'm getting Psychology Independent Research credit for. Is it going to look strange that I have 2 Independent Research courses listed in one semester (out of my total 5.5 courses in the Fall)? Should I not do the psychopharm research/get credit under "internship in psychology" instead of "independent research" or should I not worry about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think that both endeavors will suffer a bit from lack of focus. I would pick one topic and concentrate on quality over quantity.

I would think that both endeavors will suffer a bit from lack of focus. I would pick one topic and concentrate on quality over quantity.

That's what I don't want it to look like to adcoms :-/ But if you read what I wrote, I actually mean that I did one project over the summer and another during this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I don't want it to look like to adcoms :-/ But if you read what I wrote, I actually mean that I did one project over the summer and another during this semester.

I'm sorry. Bump?

I don't think this is a big deal at all. I know loads of pre-meds who had to do this for double majoring. Of course I'm biased because I'm doing this...

I think the important thing is focusing and making sure that you get something out of your research.

Ok I did not want to create an unnecessary thread but...
is independent study the same as research? Like would it count as research in the app?
I just started doing research officially and my prof told me to be do stuff to apply for the independent study credit.

Ok I did not want to create an unnecessary thread but...
is independent study the same as research? Like would it count as research in the app?
I just started doing research officially and my prof told me to be do stuff to apply for the independent study credit.
This is how it goes: you've found a research lab. You can be volunteering your time for nothing, you can be volunteering your time for credit, or you can get paid. No matter which one you do, you can put it down on your app as one of your EC's and mark it as "Research".

Most labs aren't going to pay you right off the bat without any experience, so let's cross that one off.

That leaves you with either doing research for credit or for nothing. You might as well get credit for it because you aren't going to get bonus points for doing it as a volunteer (it isn't seen as being altruistic). Even if you get credit, you will still list it as an extracurricular activity. At my undergrad, my research credits were in the bio department so I got 4 easy A credits of BCPM. Other schools make it hard to count as BCPM because they give you credits in some strange department. In any case, those grades should be an easy A:thumbup:

Yeah, it's registered to the Bio department but I did not know you can get a grade for research.
Well I'm also applying for a research position in my universities health department, should I take that if I get the job? Or should I just stick with the one I'm registered to now?
The one I'm registered to is Neuroscience research and the prof is striving for a pub so I might be in better position to get more opportunity whereas I have no idea what the health dep is going to give me for research if I get the job. All I know is it's $12 an hour for 25 hr's a week.
What do you think looks better/get the more opportunity out of?

Yeah, it's registered to the Bio department but I did not know you can get a grade for research.
Well I'm also applying for a research position in my universities health department, should I take that if I get the job? Or should I just stick with the one I'm registered to now?
The one I'm registered to is Neuroscience research and the prof is striving for a pub so I might be in better position to get more opportunity whereas I have no idea what the health dep is going to give me for research if I get the job. All I know is it's $12 an hour for 25 hr's a week.
What do you think looks better/get the more opportunity out of?
Your university may grade P/F, in which case it wouldn't help your GPA. Mine was graded so it was pretty sweet.

I dunno exactly what to say about your dilemma because I feel like it is somewhat of a personal decision based on your current situation. Do you need a job? I think you should definitely find out more info about the health department position, but if I were to pick the one that would improve your application the most based on the information presented, I would say go with the neuroscience one. It sounds like you may get a presentation or even a publication out of it, which is about as good as it gets for undergrads. The other one is too much of an unknown (if you don't need the money).

Here are two posts that may help you:
LizzyM post ranking different research activities here

LizzyM post about different points awarded at her top-20 school for research activities (the rest of the thread is very interesting as well) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8301462#post8301462

This is why I love LizzyM.
Not to mention your data/graphs in the WAMC are freakin' awesome!

Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question.

Back in September, a professor/my advisor told me about a "research credit" that I could have participated in this semester. Due to time constraints I said no. In short, it required looking though journal articles on a weekly basis and uploading them to a public database. I actually believe the database is GEISHA (idk if you guys know what that is or not). http://geisha.arizona.edu/geisha/

Anyways, it was listed as a 1 hr research credit. For next semester, it is listed as Group Studies and I believe it will be 3 hrs. Question is: would this be considered research for med school application purposes?

Thanks

Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question.

Back in September, a professor/my advisor told me about a "research credit" that I could have participated in this semester. Due to time constraints I said no. In short, it required looking though journal articles on a weekly basis and uploading them to a public database. I actually believe the database is GEISHA (idk if you guys know what that is or not). http://geisha.arizona.edu/geisha/

Anyways, it was listed as a 1 hr research credit. For next semester, it is listed as Group Studies and I believe it will be 3 hrs. Question is: would this be considered research for med school application purposes?

Thanks

No. It doesn't sound like it even requires any synthesis of the information contained in the articles (as one would do for the introduction in a research paper). If you were to label it "research" it would be considered the desk jockey equivalent of dishwashing.

I just found out the research assistant position that I was applying for:

HPD 173: Research Assistant
Pay: $12.00/hr.
Hours: 20 max./week (January 2012 start date. Flexible hours between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)

Must be able to follow safety instructions. The student will work in a research lab which grow cells and bacteria. The duties will involve physical labor to help clean the lab and equipment. Training will be provided to grow cells and bacteria and to perform research using histology and microscopes.

Qualifications: Student must be in the process of studying biology or a related subject.

Should I do the Independent study instead? The Research Assistant position looks like I'm going to be doing basic stuff.

I just found out the research assistant position that I was applying for:

Should I do the Independent study instead? The Research Assistant position looks like I'm going to be doing basic stuff.

The money is green. If you have some other research experience, you can label this employment, non-military. It can also be a foot in the door, depending on how many months/years you can stay, to work your way up to real hypothesis testing.

No. It doesn't sound like it even requires any synthesis of the information contained in the articles (as one would do for the introduction in a research paper). If you were to label it "research" it would be considered the desk jockey equivalent of dishwashing.

I didn't think so. Thanks.