Taking 2 Years OFF after undergrad? OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidice07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to get some legit feedback.
Just to give you some background, I graduate this May and this is my 6th year of undergrad (I'm 23 y/o). Not on purpose; just transferred to a cheaper school, changed my major and all that jazz.

So, I am getting ready to apply to med school this June, however, I've been considering waiting and applying next June (2013) for Fall 2014 entry. The only reason is I have somewhat of a nomadic/traveler spirit and I want to do some fun things before I began the med career. Some things I've been thinking of: a round the world service project helping NGOs and non-profits, bar tend in italy, road trip, backpack in Alaska, and maybe intern with the federal govt. It's not so much I am doubting my choice to try to go to medical school, but I just know this is the only time I'll be able to do these things.

So will med school adcoms look favorably or unfavorably upon 2 years off where 1.5 of that is probably goofing around, having fun, and being young?

thanks ahead of time :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't hurt me none. Sounds like fun, though two years is a little short. You will be a hit in the interview waiting room, and have something to talk about in the actual interviews besides how many blankets you folded for the hospital. :thumbup:

Hey guys, I wanted to get some legit feedback.
Just to give you some background, I graduate this May and this is my 6th year of undergrad (I'm 23 y/o). Not on purpose; just transferred to a cheaper school, changed my major and all that jazz.

So, I am getting ready to apply to med school this June, however, I've been considering waiting and applying next June (2013) for Fall 2014 entry. The only reason is I have somewhat of a nomadic/traveler spirit and I want to do some fun things before I began the med career. Some things I've been thinking of: a round the world service project helping NGOs and non-profits, bar tend in italy, road trip, backpack in Alaska, and maybe intern with the federal govt. It's not so much I am doubting my choice to try to go to medical school, but I just know this is the only time I'll be able to do these things.

So will med school adcoms look favorably or unfavorably upon 2 years off where 1.5 of that is probably goofing around, having fun, and being young?

thanks ahead of time :thumbup:

Median age of entering medical students is currently 24. 2 years won't affect your chances as long as you have appropriate activities listed for those years. Otherwise, do all of the normal necessaries, and enjoy your time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt you, enjoy yourself. You should go to Japan. Lots of super cool stuff there.

Go for it, because once you go to med school it'll be harder to take time off. Everyone I know who took off time after undergrad to do something fun absolutely loved doing so, and came back to school really ready to succeed.

I took two years off. Half a year of research, then a year traveling abroad. Currently MS1

I don't regret it at all.

wow bluetwosky

awesome app.

was your trip just traveling or like volunteering, tutoring, etc. mixed in to pay for the trip?

Go for it- your plans sound amazing. I took three years off and am so happy I did. It's been a lot of fun, even though what I've been doing is much less exciting than what you have in mind.

wow bluetwosky

awesome app.

was your trip just traveling or like volunteering, tutoring, etc. mixed in to pay for the trip?

Thanks =)

I had a little bit of everything. Lots of volunteering (which was through a program that paid for my stay - but I had to pay for the airfare), but lots of random traveling and having fun as well. There was some tutoring to make some money on the side, but I felt my time was better spent elsewhere haha.

Do what you want to do. You've worked hard, enjoy yourself and you may be more prepared to put your time into studying when you come back. I've heard some people wish that they've taken time off so that they could relax and learn more about the world before diving into their careers.

Taking time off after graduating to do research for 2 years is pretty much the biggest reason why I have an acceptance.

I'm taking two years off for research at NIH. I can't imagine it will hurt me. Just do what you think will be best for you. Med school and post-med school will consume your life for a very long time, why rush it?

2 years goofing off? Doesn't sound too good. 2 years doing something with your time (research/volunteer/etc.) should be no problem.

Thanks =)

I had a little bit of everything. Lots of volunteering (which was through a program that paid for my stay - but I had to pay for the airfare), but lots of random traveling and having fun as well. There was some tutoring to make some money on the side, but I felt my time was better spent elsewhere haha.

Damn... you must really like New York City lol

With your acceptances I'd say that NYC loves you back