Taking 3 general education /language requirements / bs classes pass/fail - okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering if this will affect admission chance in any way or if they do not care.

Members don't see this ad.

Since when did general education and language classes become categorized as bachelor of science classes?

wondering if this will affect admission chance in any way or if they do not care.
As far as I can tell through researching this forum for that question and experience, no one will care if you take foreign language pass/fail. If you pass of course. However, some gen ed courses are medical school prerequisites. So if you're talking about writing, stats, or other required courses, do not take pass/fail. They will want a grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look into your degree-granting institution and read carefully if your major/minor pre-reqs are allowed to be taken P/F.

I know that med schools care for their pre-reqs, but my undergrad was pretty specific about requiring actual grades for classes to count towards my major or minor.

Shouldn't BS gen eds be easy As? Free GPA boost?

Reactions: 3 users
Shouldn't BS gen eds be easy As? Free GPA boost?
I think OP is specifically asking about language requirements, although the thread title is a bit confusing. While they are most likely easier classes and should be a good GPA boost, some people don't find language acquisition to be an easy task. One of my friends took most of their language requirements pass/fail, but they weren't pre-med. I think that it shouldn't be a problem at all to take language classes P/F as long as your college allows you to, it's taking medical school prerequisites P/F that could get you into trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I can tell through researching this forum for that question and experience, no one will care if you take foreign language pass/fail. If you pass of course. However, some gen ed courses are medical school prerequisites. So if you're talking about writing, stats, or other required courses, do not take pass/fail. They will want a grade.
nah, talking about jewish history and art appreciation

nah, talking about jewish history and art appreciation
Is "Art Appreciation" notoriously grade deflated at your school or something? I don't understand why you want to do it P/F.

Is "Art Appreciation" notoriously grade deflated at your school or something? I don't understand why you want to do it P/F.
I think it's so that he can "slack off" and focus on his BME classes, even though Gen Ed's are relatively easy A's, they still need some effort.
Like this philosophy paper I should be writing right now....
I took an online Crim class this semester, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonne get a B in it. There's not extra credit, and the class is the actually the same crim class taken by crim majors, and it was totally unexpected that it won't be as easy as my other gen eds. I mean, my all other is like a 3.9 rn, but I can see why he would just take it P/F so his overall isn't affected.
I'm also p sure OP mentioned he has sort of a borderline GPA? Maybe that's the reason, he doesn't wanna risk getting a B in a stupid class.

the same crim class taken by crim majors, and it was totally unexpected that it won't be as easy as my other gen eds.
1) I think it generally stops being considered a "gen ed" if it is a part of a major's sequence of coursework.
2) What is a "Crim major"? Criminology?

Also, yeah why is something called "Art Appreciation" a concerning class? It should probably be a nice GPA boost, unless it is part of some Studio Art program and is filled with majors and is taught at the major-level. Also why would you include "language requirements" in the title of a thread when you were asking about an art and history class... I'm confused...

Reactions: 1 users
1) I think it generally stops being considered a "gen ed" if it is a part of a major's sequence of coursework.
2) What is a "Crim major"? Criminology?

Also, yeah why is something called "Art Appreciation" a concerning class? It should probably be a nice GPA boost, unless it is part of some Studio Art program and is filled with majors and is taught at the major-level. Also why would you include "language requirements" in the title of a thread when you were asking about an art and history class... I'm confused...
No , some gen eds can count towards somebody's major , at my school. I know, it's weird.

If you can't dedicate the time to get an A in an easy class, you need to learn to manage your time better.

some gen eds can count towards somebody's major
I meant more along the lines of "major-level taught classes" are usually distinguished from "gen ed" classes. I've usually only referred to classes that are specifically taught to the wide range of students as "gen ed" because the professors understand this and will teach at a lower/easier level because they know their students don't care about the material in the slightest. Taking a major-level class in place of these easier classes could count towards gen ed requirements, as often happens at my UG as well, but you generally put yourself at a disadvantage if you aren't passionate about the material (e.g. a biology student taking the chemistry major's version of Gen Chem vs. taking the class designed for all science majors).

I think it's mostly coming down to a semantics argument about what constitutes a "gen ed" so it's not really a fruitful argument, I just wanted to clarify a little bit. Heck, I go to a school that requires four Theology/Philosophy classes to graduate lol. Also still, what is a "Crim major"???

Criminology major. That's what it is. And idk, it seems like my philosophy class has a lotta philosophy majors, but is an easy A. I think it's also the lack of extra credit that prevented it from being an easy "A" but it doesn't matter, lol.
I just think Biologist mentioned wanting to raise his bcpm gpa, so maybe he just really wants to focus on his "important classes"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just think Biologist mentioned wanting to raise his bcpm gpa, so maybe he just really wants to focus on his "important classes"
I guess that would make sense, as long as the cGPA was also still good. But yes, obviously exceptions exist to this, Intro to Philosophy will always have Philo majors but also a good mix of non-major students (deciding to take an upper-level class on Kant to fulfill a gen-ed requirement would be very different), such like how Intro to Psych is filled with Psych majors but isn't really taught at the major level. Doesn't really matter that much anyways, it's all just semantics at this point.

Reactions: 1 user