Taking 3 pre-req's in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButAtYourBest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bac, so I have to take physics and chem with my program this fall. However, I really want to take Bio ASAP because I want to take electives and start to volunteer with neuroscience research -- and I will need to first learn/take bio for both.

Fortunately, I am considering taking Bio at a different university, and they are set up for working students, so they offer a once-a-week 4 hour lecture at night (which I am very comfortable with in terms of learning style), and the lab is actually offered on Saturdays.

Do you think this is feasible?

The thing is that I am not "rushing" my pre-req's in order to finish early, I just really want to take bio ASAP, and the program doesn't schedule bio until the very end of it. So I would even be fine with taking Bio instead of either Chem or Phys, but that is either not possible or really bending the rules of hte program.

Members don't see this ad.

you are risking disaster and messing up your post-bacc. i think you should be following your post-bacc's schedule.. and are you SURE you need bio to do neuro research? im in a neuro lab and i learned (and im still learning) all the necessary info from the primary literature and lab manuals/protocols (etc.) and looking up stuff and having others explain stuff/ asking questions.

sure ive taken bio and (some) neuro and (some) psych and such but the info most heavily used/needed comes from research articles and having things explained or just looking them up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took O-Chem 2, Physics 2, and Biology 1 in one semester along with another class in my major and I made A's and A- 's but I had no life. If you have a job and can't commit to being a full time student I would not recommend taking three pre-req's. If you have good time management skills then you might consider taking those classes. Hope that helps.

Try PChem, Biochem, and Physics in the same semester.

first semester of college i took physics, chem, calculus, english, and biology as well as other pass/fail classes.

It's not the three classes that will kill you, it's what other priorities in life you have. Taking three pre-reqs in a semester is doable, but taking three pre-reqs in a semester along with working 40 hours a week, caring for 3 kids and maintaining a relationship probably isn't. What else do you have going on that might hinder your goal of achieving good grades?

Try PChem, Biochem, and Physics in the same semester.

Oh yeah, well I once took 24 units in one semester including: quantum mechanics, neuroscience, astrophysics, and How Women Think 101. The last course was by far the most complex, which I failed.

Last edited:
lol you guys are funny

I do not have to work, i am living at home. the only thing is that I would have to commute for my 3rd class (taking it at another university). the commute is under an hour,a nd the lecture for the class is only once a week (4 hours straight) and the lab is on saturday. So I would only have to commute twice a week.

yikes, redlight's post is a little scarey. but i see your point.

i know this sounds crazy, but i am so intent on taking bio asap....that even if i was sacrificing like an A for an A-...I feel like it would be worth it, for my situation.

I am currently taking 2 required courses. They are pretty tough because it is the summer and they are condensed into 8-10 weeks. I suppose I could wait and see how i do at the end of the summer. If I get two A's, I would be more encouraged to pack that 3rd pre-req next semester.

I was thinking about trying to just "Teach myself" bio or audit or something...but i just feel liek if I'm taking the 3rd class, I will structure myself accordingly.

I really don't mind having no life for the next two semesters. The concern is that it will be physically impossible to get A's in all of the classes by virtue of sheer lack of time. In other words, I'm worried that my "starting value" for the classes will be greatly decreased.

lol you guys are funny

I do not have to work, i am living at home. the only thing is that I would have to commute for my 3rd class (taking it at another university). the commute is under an hour,a nd the lecture for the class is only once a week (4 hours straight) and the lab is on saturday. So I would only have to commute twice a week.

i know this sounds crazy, but i am so intent on taking bio asap....that even if i was sacrificing like an A for an A-...I feel like it would be worth it, for my situation.

I am currently taking 2 required courses. They are pretty tough because it is the summer and they are condensed into 8-10 weeks. I suppose I could wait and see how i do at the end of the summer. If I get two A's, I would be more encouraged to pack that 3rd pre-req next semester.

I was thinking about trying to just "Teach myself" bio or audit or something...but i just feel liek if I'm taking the 3rd class, I will structure myself accordingly.

I really don't mind having no life for the next two semesters. The concern is that it will be physically impossible to get A's in all of the classes by virtue of sheer lack of time. In other words, I'm worried that my "starting value" for the classes will be greatly decreased.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol you guys are funny

No offense brother but taking 3 classes one semester really isnt that bad.. at all. That is at MOST 15 credits per semester, which unless I am mistaken, is a pretty typical, if not under units for someone doing medical school pre-reqs.
If I am out of line let me know, like if there are other classes you are taking on TOP of those, that would blow. What about extra curricular work? While the research is a good start, I hope you do not think it is near enough. ( At least get in some clinical volunteering and shadowing)

Taking that load is very doable, just be ready to put in as much time as you will need.

Yea 3 courses is not bad. I took 5 last semester and it was intense. I got a 3.5 that semester. I guess one way to look at it is:

how much better does, say, a 3.7 for a semester of bio, chem and phys look than a 4.0 in chem and phy alone (keep in mind taking bio earlier will enhance my clinical research and clinical experience commitment down the road, hopefully)

I def feel like I can "do it" but it isn't really a question of if it is doable. However inevitably a bit of depth for each class will be slightly compromised. I am wondering if that is a risk

Last edited:
brother, if adding a third class to your sked drops your GPA by 0.3 with nothing else going on, that's not a good thing.

i guess i could look for bio classes to just audit.

or maybe take bio as a pass/fail and then take it for a grade when the rest of my program takes it next year. the only thing is that pass/fail may look bad. but i feel like i want more exposure than just auditing. hmm.

lol i wish there was a semester worth of general Bio I lectures I could just like watch on itunes.

Everyone needs to stop complaining... I took 3 PChem classes, advanced string theory, topology, and intro to cat-herding all in the same semester while trying to medal at the Olympics and working at Merrill-Lynch as a executive.

I also had a dog. So anything less than this is just weak and you should probably look into applying to trade schools.

i'm more interested in how a med school might look at it. and what looks better.

I have packed 5 crazy intense classes into one semester before...and been satisfied with how i managed. however, these were not BCMP that are specifically looked at and weighted different for any application process like applying to med school. So it's a totally different ball-game.

personally, i think packing 3 pre-req's per semester and getting say, A, A, A-, A, A, A- is just as impressive as say taking those same 6 pre-req's over 3 semesters and getting 6 A's...but I don't know if med schools will look at it that closely, and just see 4.0 vs. 3.9...

And I will be volunteering and getting clinical experience, but my point is that I can adjust the amount of hours I volunteer according to my class schedule. There's obviously no way to predict what grades i will get taking 2 vs. 3 per semester, but basically i'm wondering what other people would do if they COULD take 2 pre-req's /semester, but wanted to take a 3rd, in order to prepare for better more meaningful extra curricular experience.

i'm more interested in how a med school might look at it. and what looks better.

I have packed 5 crazy intense classes into one semester before...and been satisfied with how i managed. however, these were not BCMP that are specifically looked at and weighted different for any application process like applying to med school. So it's a totally different ball-game.

personally, i think packing 3 pre-req's per semester and getting say, A, A, A-, A, A, A- is just as impressive as say taking those same 6 pre-req's over 3 semesters and getting 6 A's...but I don't know if med schools will look at it that closely, and just see 4.0 vs. 3.9...

And I will be volunteering and getting clinical experience, but my point is that I can adjust the amount of hours I volunteer according to my class schedule. There's obviously no way to predict what grades i will get taking 2 vs. 3 per semester, but basically i'm wondering what other people would do if they COULD take 2 pre-req's /semester, but wanted to take a 3rd, in order to prepare for better more meaningful extra curricular experience.

A heavy semester with a 4 is better than a lighter with a 4, but a heavy load won't undo the damage of a lower gpa.

A heavy semester with a 4 is better than a lighter with a 4, but a heavy load won't undo the damage of a lower gpa.

:thumbup: Focus on a high gpa as always. You may be surprised how well you do if you just dedicate yourself for a couple of months. It really shouldn't be that hard since some of your classes are just one day a week. I say go for it.

Trying? Please! Why even say anything if you didn't get at least a silver?

LOL... Just like noting that you kinda found the cure for cancer. It doesn't count unless you can provide a cure in a convenient one a day pill. :laugh:

IT will if you get straight A's ( depending on how damaged the GPA.. some GPA's are better at rest.)

Op, you seem like a very capable person, I think you are psyching yourself out more than you may know. Its really all in your head. I mean If you can't handle that work load, from what I hear, medical schools is quite a bit tougher.
This next comment may sound ignorant as I am not 100% familiar with the type of program you are in, but do you have the option of taking the bio class early to get you to med school earlier than you would otherwise?
If so the bit of extra work will not only get your life going in the direction you would like it to, quicker, but would also prevent you from missing out on $100k+ in missed salary earnings.

lol you guys are funny

sorry.. i misread. thought you were taking physics and chem "with" (as in on top of) other program courses. i didn't think you meant you were only taking two courses through the program

for some reason i thought you were taking a full credit load plus ECs/stuff through the post-bacc and trying to squeeze in another course on the weekends and at night.. you can ignore the apocalyptic message.

You'll never know if it's too much until you try it, right?

I would suggest trying the classes and then seeing how you do. If it seems like too much, drop one before your school's add/drop deadline. If it's not too much, then keep your schedule as is.

Only you can know if a specific load is too much, but I personally believe that most people set the bar too low when it comes to what they think they can handle. Don't guess. Find out.

I am currently doing the same thing as the OP. I do have a job, just got a second one working in my school's lab and still manage to get A's in my classes. Admittingly, I was very scared to try this out at first, but knowing my own strengths and weaknesses beforehand has really helped me out. Everyone can tell you they did this or they did that, but what really matters is that you know how far you can push yourself.

Yet, just like the others have said, you won't know until you really just do it. Once you do get into Med School, every class is going to be tough and you will probably wonder everyday if you can go on. I say: if that's how Med school and life as a doctor is, better get used to it now.... :oops:

Last edited:
LOL ok...sooooo

I just realized I basically have to take Bio next year. This is because the person teaching is part of the "advisory committee" writing my recommendation letter.

However, I can take Bio this fall for no-credit at another university, or take it at the local community college....perhaps again for no credit/auditing.

I don't think it makes sense to take the course for credit twice in one year.

Last edited: