Taking 5 years to finish undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wafflyw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently going to a community college, and it's my second semester after I graduated from High School.

Due to the many pre-reqs that the bio major requires, I'm going to have to spend 3 years at my CC, and then transfer to a university to finish off my junior and senior year. What I am trying to ask you guys is that is it okay for me to finish my undergraduate in 5 years because all the pre-requisites held me back from transfer in 2 years?

Yes, I realize there are other topics out there, but I did not come across one with a "pre-reqs holding me back" type of situation. Thanks!

(As a side note, I was supposed to take Chemistry in my first year, but didn't, and could not get into a chemistry class [due to lack of seats] this semester, so I am going to start on Chemistry next semester)

Members don't see this ad.

Graduating in 5 yrs is not a problem. Depending on the reputation of the cc, med schools in general tend to frown on taking pre-reqs at a cc vs. a 4-yr college.

Graduating in 5 yrs is not a problem. Depending on the reputation of the cc, med schools in general tend to frown on taking pre-reqs at a cc vs. a 4-yr college.

OP, don't listen to anyone who talks about "reputation of the cc", they're talking out of their ass. A CC is a CC. There is no newsweek CC rankings or reputations at that. Anyways, graduating in 5 years isn't uncommon. With all the cut backs that public/state colleges have endured in the past years, which equates to less classes offered, it's not unusual for someone to not graduate in 4 years now-a-days. You should be fine as long as you have a full-time school schedule (12-15+ semester units). Do well on your MCAT so that your score matches, or is better, than you CC pre-req GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, don't listen to anyone who talks about "reputation of the cc", they're talking out of their ass. A CC is a CC. There is no newsweek CC rankings or reputations at that. Anyways, graduating in 5 years isn't uncommon. With all the cut backs that public/state colleges have endured in the past years, which equates to less classes offered, it's not unusual for someone to not graduate in 4 years now-a-days. You should be fine as long as you have a full-time school schedule (12-15+ semester units). Do well on your MCAT so that your score matches, or is better, than you CC pre-req GPA.
:thumbup:

Taking prereqs at a CC will only look weird if you take a majority of them there while enrolled at a 4-year university as well.

I did not mean to come off as dismissive of community colleges. In fact, I took a lot of my pre-reqs at a cc (as a post-bacc student, working full-time). I did call my state medical school and they think very highly of this community college. Indeed, one biology class was taught by an adjunct who was a full time professor at the medical school. So I stand by that not all community colleges are created equal. I also think while it is fine for my state medical school, I feel (accurately, or not) other med schools that do not have knowledge/experience with this particular cc would look at my cc credits with apprehension.
However, if you do extremely well on the MCAT, that would certainly allay any concerns with the quality of pre-reqs etc.

Ah, okay. I was sort of panicking because the people I know (who go to a different university or the uni. I want to transfer to) are going to be graduating in 4 years. I was afraid I would stick out as a lazy individual or something of that sort.

GPA is much more important, if you want something to worry about. Don't let your grades drop when you transfer to the four-year school. How long the journey takes isn't important.

Yeah, I'm aiming for at least a 3.8 GPA(ideally, I would like to be around the 3.9 mark).

Taking prereqs at a CC will only look weird if you take a majority of them there while enrolled at a 4-year university as well.

Ah, good! So I should be good since I'm not enrolled in any other university! Thanks!

I did not mean to come off as dismissive of community colleges. In fact, I took a lot of my pre-reqs at a cc (as a post-bacc student, working full-time). I did call my state medical school and they think very highly of this community college. Indeed, one biology class was taught by an adjunct who was a full time professor at the medical school. So I stand by that not all community colleges are created equal. I also think while it is fine for my state medical school, I feel (accurately, or not) other med schools that do not have knowledge/experience with this particular cc would look at my cc credits with apprehension.
However, if you do extremely well on the MCAT, that would certainly allay any concerns with the quality of pre-reqs etc.

Ah, don't worry! I'm sure you meant well. I kind of get what you mean by the faculty and what not.

Thanks all for your informed answers. Would I be asked why I took 5 years in a med school interview?