Taking a 2 week trip 2 weeks before the MCAT? Bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aethermist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm planning to take the MCAT 8/10, do you think it's awful to take a 2.5 week trip from 7/10-7/27? It's not a vacation per se (I will be accompanying my SO for work in a resort town) so I will have plenty of free time to study, but I don't know if I'll be able to study quite as much as if I just stayed at home. I went last summer and there are tons of coffee shops, a beautiful library, and lots of nature, so it would be a very relaxing time. It is in the mountains though so the first ~3 days I'll be out of the count because I get really bad altitude sickness. I will be leaving my job 5/25 and studying full time from that point forward (I have already been reviewing content very slowly for the past month or so) so part of me thinks it might be a good break to get a change of scenery. I get burned out easily so it might be helpful to "recharge my batteries" before doing the final 2 week trek to MCAT land. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go for it. Sounds like you'll have time to study at least part-time.

Not sure if you've already tried this, but there are prescription meds for altitude sickness.

If I'm planning to take the MCAT 8/10, do you think it's awful to take a 2.5 week trip from 7/10-7/27? It's not a vacation per se (I will be accompanying my SO for work in a resort town) so I will have plenty of free time to study, but I don't know if I'll be able to study quite as much as if I just stayed at home. I went last summer and there are tons of coffee shops, a beautiful library, and lots of nature, so it would be a very relaxing time. It is in the mountains though so the first ~3 days I'll be out of the count because I get really bad altitude sickness. I will be leaving my job 5/25 and studying full time from that point forward (I have already been reviewing content very slowly for the past month or so) so part of me thinks it might be a good break to get a change of scenery. I get burned out easily so it might be helpful to "recharge my batteries" before doing the final 2 week trek to MCAT land. Opinions?
Do it. Change of scenery will help.

Nothing wrong with it as long as you get some studying done every day.

Now if you take those two weeks and do absolutely nothing....