Taking a CC course during the regular school year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tj54

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you ever taken an extra course at a community college at the same time you were enrolled in your regular degree program at your school?
I'll be entering my 2nd year of university and I really want to start taking an american sign language class, but my school doesn't offer any. Is it stupid/overambitious to enroll in an ASL night class at a CC while at the same time taking my regular course load at school?
Any advice would be appreciated; thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Have any of you ever taken an extra course at a community college at the same time you were enrolled in your regular degree program at your school?
I'll be entering my 2nd year of university and I really want to start taking an american sign language class, but my school doesn't offer any. Is it stupid/overambitious to enroll in an ASL night class at a CC while at the same time taking my regular course load at school?

If you think you can handle the course load I think it would be an awesome thing to do. Who knows, it may come in use later in your professional life and personal life. :thumbup: Props to you for considering it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could take as little as 12 semester hours at your regular university and still be considered full time. If you cut your usual load (probably 16-18 hours/semester?), you'd have plenty of time for the extra class and practice time. If you didn't want to cut down your load, you could always take the CC class pass/fail so as not to mess up your AMCAS GPA.

If you're not taking a heavy course load you should have time to take a fun or interesting class at a community college. However, here at TWO BIG WARNINGS on the subject that I wish I would have known before I applied to medical school.

1) You will have to report every single class you've ever taken, even CC classes on your AMCAS and if it's a credit class it will count towards your med school GPA. SO whatever you do, do not blow off the class b/c it's "just for fun". The last thing you want is a C, D, of F on your transcript.

2) Having to send multiple transcripts to AMCAS increases your risk of having your verification delayed. AMCAS has very strict standards for the transcripts they will except. Community colleges don't frequently encounter students who are applying to medical schools so their transcript departments can be incredibly slow in issuing transcripts (as in over a month.....you do not want your AMCAS delayed for that amount of time) and they can be lax about how they prepare the transcript (AMCAS will reject the transcript if it doesn't have the proper officiating marks and it will delay your application).

So if you're going to do it, make sure you get an A and request the transcript 1-2 months before you submit your AMCAS.

I took a CC course while taking a full load at my undergrad. Obviously, the class is much less work than the rest of my courses, so as long as you feel you have time for it I'd say go for it!

As for above, I requested transcripts from 3 different schools on the same day (undergrad, cc, and course i took in hs) and the amcas actually received the cc one first...so it might just depend on the school.

Thanks for the advice! My course load next semester seems like it's the lightest one I have left (what a scary thought): molbio, ochem a, intro to psych, and a random GE about Buddhism. I'll also have the usual volunteering and sports, but the CC ASL class is only mondays and wednesdays from 7pm - 10pm (plus driving there/back), so it seems ok...??

Your plan seems doable, even though I'm assuming OchemA includes a lab (and could involve more time than you're planning). Keep Greenshirt's warning in mind, especially as your planned CC course may have grades that are performance-based instead of memorization-based. Be sure to get an A!

Thanks for the advice! My course load next semester seems like it's the lightest one I have left (what a scary thought): molbio, ochem a, intro to psych, and a random GE about Buddhism. I'll also have the usual volunteering and sports, but the CC ASL class is only mondays and wednesdays from 7pm - 10pm (plus driving there/back), so it seems ok...??

If possible take the class as pass/fail if you don't need the bump in the gpa, that way it won't hurt you if you need to put less than an A's level of attention to it.

Unfortunately I am in desperate need of a GPA bump, so I'm not too keen on pass/fail. Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the course since it's something I really want to do for me, not for medical school... thanks again for helping!