Taking a class before next cycle to beef up app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if i should take a chem class at a university im currently working at (i graduated) to shadow over some poor (C+) grades I got in school? I will prob not be taking this for actual credit as im part time and PT employees do not get tuition credit..but if i take it for Audit (no grade), can i just ask the professor to "unofficially" grade my tests, get an official letter from the school to show AMCAs/AACOMAS my grade in place of an actual credited grade? Also, should i even be retaking classes here with a 3.5gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if i should take a chem class at a university im currently working at (i graduated) to shadow over some poor (C+) grades I got in school? I will prob not be taking this for actual credit as im part time and PT employees do not get tuition credit..but if i take it for Audit (no grade), can i just ask the professor to "unofficially" grade my tests, get an official letter from the school to show AMCAs/AACOMAS my grade in place of an actual credited grade? Also, should i even be retaking classes here with a 3.5gpa?

Your GPA of 3.5 is fine. I have a 3.3 and already have acceptances and more interviews. Just make sure you do good on the MCAT.

I don't think the schools would accept the audit grade, I would only take the class if you think it will improve your MCAT.

Thanks for the reply!!
I am just curious because a lot of advice on the threads for "Improvements/What are my chances" seem to be to retake some classes you did poorly in to bring up the GPA..my sciGPA is lower, though. Would it benefit me to retake some chem classes? So you dont think schools will take proof of audited classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
also, i dont want them to see some C's on my sciences.

also, i dont want them to see some C's on my sciences.

They will still see it even if you retake it. I retook a course that I got a very low grade in and got an A the second time but they still see the first. The only difference is that the grade isn't taken into account in your averages. Take all that time you would spend on retaking the course and put it into the MCAT. It will be worth it.